panic under water - I had serious problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isurus:
I think you are exhaling to clear the reg without necessarily realising it and thats whats a) making you think theres no water in the reg and b) confusing you about the purge earlier. When I first learned scuba I could not understand why anyone would purge. I would suggest trying, in a controlled environment, removing your reg, exhaling fully and putting it back in to give you a feeling of what would happen.

On a side note the new apeks octopus works all ways up apparently - I think its called the egress

That's an excellent idea. I plan to do that on my next dive trip on a shallow dive. I also plan, if I can find a buddy to do it with, doing a share air, OOA drill, to get the feeling of what it feels like to have water in octo. Not sure I'm clearing it as you suggest. You might be giving me too much credit. :)

Question, which diver is expected, or should, purge the donated octo? Does the donated octo always have water in it and have to be purged? I have no recollection of being told to purge the octo before breathing off it in OOA drill?

pilot fish:
Question, which diver is expected, or should, purge the donated octo? Does the donated octo always have water in it and have to be purged? I have no recollection of being told to purge the octo before breathing off it in OOA drill?
You... if you're sticking the regulator in your mouth it's you're job to make sure there is no water in it...

If the OOA diver has enough air in the lungs to clear the reg there is no need for him or her to hit the purge. Also in passing the the reg (if a long hose) the donor must be sure to pass by holding on to the hose not the reg itself in order not to cover up the purge in case the OOA diver needs to clear it using the purge. Of course if it is an octo then the OOA diver will locate, identify and secure the reg.

Tollie:
Of course if it is an octo then the OOA diver will locate, identify and secure the reg.
Hey, as a short-hose octo-donating traditionalist... unless I get blind-side mugged for my primary, as soon as I see someone slashing across their throat in my direction (or any other direction), I'm deploying my octo and offering it up... with the purge free. If they still mug me despite that, I've got the octo in my hand already.

The only thing is, I've got a new Dacor Viper octo (like Jepuskar, except it's not clear whether his is his primary)... that works either side up. I need to work out how to offer the octo so that it's rotated the best way for the donee. It's clipped to my right shoulder d-ring. If I grab it by the swivel, palm of my hand toward me, then the best way may be to just rotate it up as I extend my arm straight out... that should be easier anyway, since there'd only be about 90 degrees of rotation, vice 180 horizontally with a normal second stage...

--Marek

Tollie:
If the OOA diver has enough air in the lungs to clear the reg there is no need for him or her to hit the purge. Also in passing the the reg (if a long hose) the donor must be sure to pass by holding on to the hose not the reg itself in order not to cover up the purge in case the OOA diver needs to clear it using the purge. Of course if it is an octo then the OOA diver will locate, identify and secure the reg.

This just undescores the need for practice of skills, and not wait to do it in a real emergency.The holding of the hose and not the reg is something I either forgot, or didn't know. I see why that purge needs to be open for the OOA diver. Grateful to learn, or relearn this skill. I will practice it. thanks

Guys, this is an excellent thread with some good review scenerios that everyone could find useful to review.

T.J.

This is a great thread, and thank you so much for sharing your experience.

And Rob, thank you for the idea of breathing between the steps. I was practicing S-drills today, and I still have this awful problem with rushing through the procedure, even when I have said above water that I am going TO DO THIS SLOOOOOWWWWLLLLY. Maybe remembering step 1 . . . breathe; step 2 . . . breathe will help.

You got any equally useful clues on maintaining TRIM while doing such things? :)

Good thread (which I hadn't seen before).

TSandM:
This is a great thread, and thank you so much for sharing your experience.

And Rob, thank you for the idea of breathing between the steps. I was practicing S-drills today, and I still have this awful problem with rushing through the procedure, even when I have said above water that I am going TO DO THIS SLOOOOOWWWWLLLLY. Maybe remembering step 1 . . . breathe; step 2 . . . breathe will help.

You got any equally useful clues on maintaining TRIM while doing such things? :)

Breathing is the first step in the A-B-C's. Apply that and while you do so move slowly and deliberately. Try to imagine that you're under water.... :)

R..

Back
Top Bottom