Panic attack first time on open water dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had this happen to me twice. Both times, I was on a trip by myself and was assigned a dive buddy who I was not familiar with. As soon as I jumped in the water, I began to breathe very shallow and could not bring myself to descend. I have never had that happen when I was diving with close friends or family, so I guess it was just a mental thing not being certain that the person I am diving with REALLY has my back! I have since gone on similar trips and sometimes get nervous still, however I have become able to calm my nerves and slow my breathing enough to head down. Once I get headed down, all my anxiety disappears and I enjoy my dive!

I recalled that in another thread someone had mentioned that mentioned diver mentality fallen into groups of of either "eager to dive" or those of "glad the dive was over."

Having been trapped physically twice as a kid made me somewhat claustrophobic. So my introduction to scuba especially OW certification was not all thrills but somewhat "glad the dive was over."

Now I managed AOW & still am fairly new diver at 60 dives, this "glad the dive was over" still haunts me; I thought I had moved on to the eager diver group... even though I don't have any cardiovascular or other physical impairment.

On the 60th dive, jumped with confidence into clear blue & warm South Pacific water at Indonesia. Vis was awesome for the Wall dive with hardly noticeable current. 20- 30 minutes later at the 15-20M zone in headache hits follow by slight nausea & shortness of breath, vision was slightly blurred.

I began to have an urge to get out of water. Signaled to guide 1/2 tank & ascent to shallow. Bad feeling went away for awhile but came back soon.

Really had to hold back the urge to rush out to finish safety stop then exit. Was relieved and mad at myself the same time about not enjoying this somewhat easy dive in such a nice place.

I'm still trying to trouble shoot that dive. The only remedies came to me was not pushing much beyond ones comfort level and be prepared with all aspects of the dive in order to handle surprises.

Any suggestions in this discussion is welcome!

Did you have your air checked on this one? Those can be symptoms of Carbon Monoxide.

Did you have your air checked on this one? Those can be symptoms of Carbon Monoxide.
That is an excellent point: looking at mayo/webmd, the symptoms differ by doom and gloom and shaking for panic attack vs blurred vision and confusion for CO poisoning. Nausea, feeling weak/faint/dizzy/lightheaded and short of breath, weird heartbeat, headache are common to both.

We were diving with 32% nitrox. But I wouldn't rule out bad air on that one judging by the quality of the rented equipment. When we first asked for NX, was told they don't have it. Somehow they found some the next day. Perhaps the tanks were at least stale?

Also another factor was that this was another deep dive 22-28M that follow a previous 30M dive with only 60 minute surface time.

I feel it more likely had something to do with equipment & air. Need to check dive profile some more. When we had more high end stuff w good NX mix at Raja, breathing was silky smooth yet almost turbo charged like regardless of depth & breathing pattern.

Can nitrox have CO contamination?

We were diving with 32% nitrox. But I wouldn't rule out bad air on that one judging by the quality of the rented equipment. When we first asked for NX, was told they don't have it. Somehow they found some the next day. Perhaps the tanks were at least stale?

Also another factor was that this was another deep dive 22-28M that follow a previous 30M dive with only 60 minute surface time.

I feel it more likely had something to do with equipment & air. Need to check dive profile some more. When we had more high end stuff w good NX mix at Raja, breathing was silky smooth yet almost turbo charged like regardless of depth & breathing pattern.

Certainly; standard compressed air is always part of the mix, and if the air compressor has problems you can get CO contamination. Typically the CO is pulled into the intake, but that's not the only way.

I used to suffer with panic attacks and NEVER knew when they were going to occur. My first one I was just siting around with friends. They continued for a couple years, of course meds and learning how to cope with them. Now, every once and awhile I can tell I am going to have one and deal with stopping it in its tracks. Guess it just comes with experience. Best thing to do, is never stop and think, am I going to have a panic attack, just go on with your life. Joe

I have yet to find stale air, it doesn't go bad just sitting in a tank unless the air or the tank is contaminated.

The depth itself shouldn't make a difference, however narcosis, CO2 retention, and your own thoughts might. If CO or some other contaminant was in the tank it may manifest itself that way, as an unknown fear leading to panic. I learned early to abort a dive if I felt something was off, sorting it out on the surface is a lot safer.

A regulator would make breathing easier, not the gas you are breathing

Yes

I would suggest that you stick to shallow dives until you sort it all out. Divers usually train in 20 to 30 feet of water, doubling or tripling that while still a novice should make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. You just started diving, you have plenty of time to go deeper later as you get more experience.

Good Luck and Good Diving

Bob
------------------------
That's my point, people, by and large, are not taught that diving can be deadly, they are taught how safe it is, and they are not equipped with the skills, taught and trained to the level required to be useful in an emergency.

I almost freaked a little while doing my advanced PADI certification in Costa rica, it was a deep dive and I am not sure if it was a bit of narcosis but I suddenly really wanted to breathe through my nose and was wanting to be on the surface. I just forced myself to slow right down, half closed my eyes and focused on my breathing, almost trying to meditate a bit. hahah I actually flashed back in my mind to batman begins in the scene where they talk about mastering your fear. ended up finishing the dive like a boss and haven't felt it since. Im a big fan of identifying the fact its your brain trying to trick or controll you, ackowledging it and then realizing you have the ability to change your thought process.

another time I was worried was after some drift diving in barbados, it was the 2nd dive of the day and never having been sea sick in my life, I was starting to feel queasy from waiting for the boat on the surface during the 1st dive. before the second dive I had thrown up over the side of the boat and thought I would be good, but during the saftey stop at the end of the second dive I knew I was going to puke and was afraid of choking and sucking in water as a reflex. sure enough I couldnt keep it down and threw up through the reg, and forced my brain to slow down and think. remove the reg, continue to puke, clear the reg with the purge, put it back in, breath slowly, remove from mouth, puke again, and repeat the process haha. it was knarly and gross but I managed to keep my head and power through it. #gross :p

I had an attack once when I was a new diver with about 25 dives. I was in Australia (GBR) on a day boat. The ride out was horrible as they were jumping the boat off swells in a hurry to get out and back. I was stuck up in the bow of the boat assembling my camera gear because the Japanese had taken over the rest of the boat and there was nowhere to set up. The boat hit a huge swell full force and sent me levitating in mid air along with all my camera gear, and when the boat bottomed out so did I including all my gear everywhere on the floor.
So I had all that stress already that tilted my mood, and when we got to the first site It was a rush to get everyone in the water. I was the last one in and had a DM behind me saying c'mon mate you're holding everyone up hurry up!
So I jumped in before I was fully ready trying to manage my camera and remember to do everything right. When I hit the water my mask dislodged and water got up my nose and I couldn't breathe, my airway locked up. Even though I was on the surface I had a panic attack and just wanted out and my gear off!
I stayed in the water though to save face, and besides I didn't fly all that way and spend that kind of money not to dive! So I made myself deal with it. By this time I think the DM had an idea what was going on and told me to take my time and regroup. After a minute I calmed down and then had a great dive like nothing ever happened.

I almost freaked a little while doing my advanced PADI certification in Costa rica, it was a deep dive and I am not sure if it was a bit of narcosis but I suddenly really wanted to breathe through my nose and was wanting to be on the surface. I just forced myself to slow right down, half closed my eyes and focused on my breathing, almost trying to meditate a bit. hahah I actually flashed back in my mind to batman begins in the scene where they talk about mastering your fear. ended up finishing the dive like a boss and haven't felt it since. Im a big fan of identifying the fact its your brain trying to trick or controll you, ackowledging it and then realizing you have the ability to change your thought process.

another time I was worried was after some drift diving in barbados, it was the 2nd dive of the day and never having been sea sick in my life, I was starting to feel queasy from waiting for the boat on the surface during the 1st dive. before the second dive I had thrown up over the side of the boat and thought I would be good, but during the saftey stop at the end of the second dive I knew I was going to puke and was afraid of choking and sucking in water as a reflex. sure enough I couldnt keep it down and threw up through the reg, and forced my brain to slow down and think. remove the reg, continue to puke, clear the reg with the purge, put it back in, breath slowly, remove from mouth, puke again, and repeat the process haha. it was knarly and gross but I managed to keep my head and power through it. #gross :p

Yeah, it's kind of gross, but you can throw up through a regulator. Been there, done that. :-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom