Panhandle divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys, I am heading your way soon. Living currently in MA, but have family in DFS, and own land in Freeport. I am interested in getting to know the local dive scene. Most of my dives have been the cold dark waters of New England. Although I did do a couple dives in Vortex, just into the cavern, and through all of the practice course. Even enjoyed a night dive at the spring. Would be interested in finding groups, or clubs who are in the area. Any suggestions?

I better be down by then. I was hoping to have the closing done on the house here this past week, but, it seems selling a house isn't as easy as selling used scuba gear.

There are a bunch of us that dive the jetties and springs of the panhandle pretty frequently. Every so often, we even jump on a boat.

Boat? What is a boat? I am a Shore Diver! Oh wait, I think I have been on a boat before. It's like shore diving, without the long walk in all your gear to and from the water, over around and through beach goers. The water is deep right away. And there's none of them pesky rollers to knock you over. Can't wait!

P.S. I seen the boat, the Morrison springs charter yacht? Where is the mini fridge?

Now that's my idea of a luxury vessel.....

I have a question for you guys. Now, I used to live down there, seen a few snakes, and a gator or two, right in the areas around the springs. Have you ever come across any while diving?

There have been a few snakes around the edges but none out in the clear water where you will be diving. It's too cold generally near the spring boil. Have also heard some gators croaking off in the distance. Again the spring is only 68 degrees and gators will not generally feed unless it is above 70. That fine line gives you an edge of excitement. Actually saw and were close to more gators in the Cooper River than at any Florida spring. I worry more about the two legged snakes. The mosquitos too - gosh they're big.

God, I hate mosquitoes . . . !!!!

It isn't so much a concern as a curiosity. Seems like something someone would have gotten photos of, yet I only found one wild gator pics in the gallery. There was also only one snake that looked like it might be found in FL. The rest were more tropical sea snakes. So, I decided to ask the guys who dive the spots.

The guys I am really curious about, are the ones who dive in the ponds at golf courses. I know those have their share of snakes, and aren't cooled by any springs. I wonder what they do to avoid unfriendly contact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom