Panama, Costa Rica, or Nicaragua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if it was me, I choose Costa Rica as first option. Awesome country, great food, good places to explore !

Has anybody been diving the Caribbean side of Costa Rica? Has anybody rented a car? Is automatic transmission available, what is an average cost?

I plan to spend 2-3 weeks in Puerto Rico, mostly diving with some nature trips for animals and a bit of social life here and there. I plan to cover no more than 3 spots for the trip. Most referred destination is Guanacstle. Are there other good spots on Pacific or Caribbean side?

Has anybody been diving the Caribbean side of Costa Rica? Has anybody rented a car? Is automatic transmission available, what is an average cost?
Did not dive the Caribbean side and I do not know anyone who did. As for the car rental, be prepared for great pressure from the rental company to buy car insurance, doubling the price in effect. Come prepared, with full knowledge of your insurance (and/or credit card insurance) policy toward Costa Rica, get every statement from them in writing, print it and take with you. Driving can be very challenging. San Jose at rush hour is a madhouse, so if you've come for diving avoid it and fly to Liberia. Driving in the central mountains is challenging because of the fog in the evenings, and if you go to Osa a 4WD is a must cause you'll have to ford several rivers. But if you fly to Liberia and drive to Guanacaste bays, this should be easy.

But if you fly to Liberia and drive to Guanacaste bays, this should be easy.

My one caution regarding driving in the Liberia area (and this dates from 2014, so things may have changed) is that the Pan American Highway was more pothole than pavement.

We were riding with a couple in a rental, and we hit a pothole so hard that it dislodged the ignition module in the engine compartment.

Fortunately we had a roll of duct tape, and you know what they say about duct tape.

My one caution regarding driving in the Liberia area (and this dates from 2014, so things may have changed) is that the Pan American Highway was more pothole than pavement.

We were riding with a couple in a rental, and we hit a pothole so hard that it dislodged the ignition module in the engine compartment.

Fortunately we had a roll of duct tape, and you know what they say about duct tape.
Duct tape, yes, I did not think to pack it with me.
I would not bother with a car but I get a feeling that using buses and taxi ( if there are those) might be hectic.

Did not dive the Caribbean side and I do not know anyone who did. As for the car rental, be prepared for great pressure from the rental company to buy car insurance, doubling the price in effect. Come prepared, with full knowledge of your insurance (and/or credit card insurance) policy toward Costa Rica, get every statement from them in writing, print it and take with you. Driving can be very challenging. San Jose at rush hour is a madhouse, so if you've come for diving avoid it and fly to Liberia. Driving in the central mountains is challenging because of the fog in the evenings, and if you go to Osa a 4WD is a must cause you'll have to ford several rivers. But if you fly to Liberia and drive to Guanacaste bays, this should be easy.
Tarponchik, Thsnks for telling me about the insurance, just checked this out with a bank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom