Panama City Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Husband and I are travelling to Panama City March 25-April 2. Just returned home from a week in Bonaire. (BEST trip thus far.) I am a newer diver with only 26 dives under my belt. Hubby has 50+. We would love to dive in Panama City, however have little interest in diving at 80+ feet. Is it worth it to bring the gear? Are there dive sites in the 30-70' depths? Is it feasible to dive St. Andrews State Park? Answers and recommendations for Dive Ops would be appreciated!!

You can dive at St. Andrews State Park just make sure you check the tide tables. We dove about an hour before high tide when we were there and had a great time. It was neat to see some of the big fish that were hanging around and ignoring the fishermen :) Take a small light along so you can shine it into the nooks and crannies in the rocks, we saw a bunch of juvenile Drums and other critters. I don't have my logbook here but I believe some of the sites closer to shore (bridge spans, etc) may be in the depth range you are looking at. We went with Hydrospace but I hear they have gone out of business.
Ber :lilbunny:

Here's a website with some information about some of the dive sites. (Just found it)
Ber :lilbunny:

Panama City has a wide range of sites that generally consist of three bands of stuff lieing on the bottom.

The outermost - Stage I, Accokeek, Two Tugs, Grey Ghost, Bridge Spans to name a few are 12 miles out and average 100 feet to the sand. Some a little more some a little less. The structure itself also has relief making a slightly shallower dive possible.

The middle - USS Strength, Black Bart, Quonset Hut, Hovercraft, Bridge Spans, again to name a few average five miles out and the sand is about 75 feet with the top of the Bart and the bridgespans rising to about 50 feet.

The innermost - barges, bridge rubble, Stage II, to name a few are anywhere from 40 to 50 feet.

There is a wide range of marine life in the waters off PC and you'll see something different every dive. We all came back from Bonaire after searching the bottom for Frogfishes and Sea Horses and found one of each in one picture at Bridge Span 14.

The visibility is not as nice as tropical locations but the stuff you will see is amazingly versitile and interesting.

There is always the St Andrews jetties and the Panhandle Springs which are about a 45 minute drive. One very personable bunch of folks are Debbie and Sonja at Divers Den http://www.diversdenonline.com/

Bring your dive gear and enjoy - BTW if you intend on diving at the jetties or Morrison Spring bring your flag.

At the time you'll be there the water temps are liable to be a might "bracing" - high 50's to mid 60's. The springs are always 68. For most folks that's at least a 5 mil wetsuit with hood.
Rick

Thanks for the quick responses.

50's - 60's... OUCH! I would be in my 7mm for sure.

Can anyone tell me more about the Spings? 68ish is more like it!

How about March's visibility?

Waterlovers2003:
Can anyone tell me more about the Spings? 68ish is more like it! How about March's visibility?
The vis in the Gulf is always a crap shoot but averages 30' or so. The springs vis is consistently 100+ until some rototiller stirs it up, then it can be anything less than 100.
Rick

Waterlovers2003:
Thanks for the quick responses.

50's - 60's... OUCH! I would be in my 7mm for sure.

Can anyone tell me more about the Spings? 68ish is more like it!

How about March's visibility?
From Panama City, your best springs would be Morrison Spring, Cypress Spring, and Vortex Spring. Morrison and Cypress can be flooded often, so dont bet on those, and Cypress is a canoe dive. If my website ever comes back up, Ill send some links. PC diving is good too, and for a boat dive, check out Divers Den. As others have said plenty of dives in the 50-70ft range, temps will be in the 60s, visibility varies from 20-40.

I've only seen Cypress flooded once and that was when the waterlevels were above flood stage in Dec '04. I think the flow keeps the tannic water down the run for the most part.

I consider this spring a safe bet pretty much anytime, if you have the means to get there.

Youre right, it definetly doesnt flood as easily as Morrison, but Id hate to paddle all that way...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom