Panama City Jetties - Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darcy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Diver's Den cancelled the Splash trip Saturday so we went to dive the PCB Jetties instead. We waded into the kiddy pool then crossed over the rocks down to 60' checked out the wall, hunted for sand dollars, then came back to the rocks. The water temp on the first dive was 64, air temp was around 70, vis was 10-20’. The second dive on Saturday we crossed from the kiddy pool into the channel descending to 59’ and following the rocks toward the bay. Water temp 63, air temp 70degrees. We saw a large pod of squid eggs, then looked around the area and saw the group of squid nearby. We watched them for awhile and they watched us, they swim forward and backward, odd to see in action. The current picked up considerably just as we got back to the rocks high tide was supposed to be around 6pm and right on time you could see the brown bay water seeping in. We were back to the rocks just in time to hold on for our slow ascent up the rubble.

We came back Sunday for an afternoon dive. Same dive over the rocks from the kiddy pool down to 60’ feet. Vis was 35-40' and the water temp was 61 degrees. Swam out to the first ledge, then went over to the wall looking for more sand dollars. There were a lot more squid eggs around, tons of sheep’s head near the rocks, arrow crabs, horse shoe crabs and of course sea urchins. Not a bad weekend of diving.

Wow, what a difference a week can make! I wish I could have gone with you. Sounds like you had a blast even if your charter got blown out. Looking forward to diving with you again Darcy,

Matt

I wish it had been like that when we all tried diving there - oh well. Glad you had some good dives.

Darcy, glad you had fun. Id like to get back out to the jetties one of these days, but it sounds too cold still. Youre braver than me.

FYI, here are the remaining high tides for PC in March.

3/24/2005 11:39AM LST 0.5 H
3/25/2005 10:13AM LST 0.6 H
3/26/2005 09:43AM LST 0.8 H
3/27/2005 Sun 09:41AM LST 1.1 H
3/28/2005 Mon 10:00AM LST 1.3 H
3/29/2005 Tue 10:36AM LST 1.4 H
3/30/2005 Wed 11:29AM LST 1.5 H

I was really comfortable, and I always thought I was a wus when it came to the cold. I think that comes natural to us Florida girls, anything below 70 = brrr.

We did a night dive last night water temp was 61 air temp was high 73. I wear a 3 mil full with a farmer jane, vest with hood and as long as I'm swimming I'm warm. The tromp from the parking lot over the sand dunes gets me pretty warm too. Then again I still have that I'll-dive-any-time-I-can-find-someone-crazy-enough-to-go-with-me attitude. I hope that never fades!

Sounds like a damned good time :D I want some saltwater divetime too!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom