Palos Verdes urchin culling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several weeks ago, I went to a dive club talk by Nancy Caruso from Get Inspired - Get Inspired - Get Inspired She put me in touch with Keith Rootsaert of the Giant Giant Kelp Restoration Project - Giant Giant Kelp Restoration Project - up in Monterey Bay. Based on the science both organizations have done, the most effective way to reduce the urchin populations is basically smashing them with a hammer. The hammer of choice, documented at Links for G2KR Volunteers, is a welding hammer from Home Depot for about $13. The Harbor Freight equivalent is supposedly less comfortable after smashing a hundred or so urchins, but only costs about $7. There is little to no danger of smashing urchins causing them to spawn further. Now, if only conditions start to improve after all the winter storms I can go out and test my new hammer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom