Palos Verdes Dive Site; Kevin's Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very impressive. You get all the macro shots that I always thought about getting but seldom did. When I first took my real camera below I was shooting Kodachrome 25 because everyone said it was the best, but I found it to be way too contrasty. Instead I switched to Ektrachrome 100 and was able to capture much more of the subtle color differences. Your digital images are at least 50 times better! Amazing!

Does your digital camera also do video?

No, it doesn't. My first wife shot with a Nikonos V and Kodachrome 64. Film has vibrant colors and texture that digital hasn't matched yet, but film fades over time. The best thing about digital is I can shoot as much as I want, delete the junk and not have to pay for development or have my own darkroom. The bad part is that for every sixty minute dive I spend a few more hours on Photoshop. :(

No, it doesn't. My first wife shot with a Nikonos V and Kodachrome 64. Film has vibrant colors and texture that digital hasn't matched yet, but film fades over time. The best thing about digital is I can shoot as much as I want, delete the junk and not have to pay for development or have my own darkroom. The bad part is that for every sixty minute dive I spend a few more hours on Photoshop. :(

It sounds like some of my problem might have been the Cibachrome printing I was doing. The slides, OTOH, looked great with either Kodachrome :)

I have not done very much work with digital editing but when I was shooting film I tried very hard to get it right in the first place because what I could do in the darkroom with color film always seemed to be very limited. There was an exception, however: T-Max b/w film. That stuff was so amazing that you could bracket your stops and not be able to tell the difference on the negatives, with details in the shadows and highlights that used to take a lot of darkroom work! It was like having Ansel Adams in a can.

Back
Top Bottom