Palm Beach - Key West in June - New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morti

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been reading through several threads, and I'm a little nervous to post based on being a novice compared to everyone on here, but I desperately need advice (and everyone seems great) so here goes. My niece and I are planning a Florida road trip for her high school graduation, with the primary purpose of diving together. She is getting certified this winter and will need to do her open water dives the first day. I am certified, but have not diving in 10+ years, so I will be doing a refresher as well. The current plan is to start in Palm Beach (3 days), then to Islamorada (2 days), then Key West (4 days). I'd love to get your opinions on whether or not this is a good plan, and if so, any recommendations for dive shops/instructors that would be suitable for two beginners? Dive sites? Is this enough/too much time in each place? Or should we be considering somewhere else that is more suitable to our experience level? Any other thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida.....sounds like your trip is going to be epic with a lifetime of memories......check with the local dive shops to arrange for your open water / refresher dives then go for it...good luck and have a safe fun trip.

perhaps this will get you started....

Jupiter Dive Center Home

Thank you so much! I'll definitely check out Jupiter, they seem to be recommended on this board a lot.

I love Jupiter diving and Jupiter Dive Center in particular. Not to be a naysayer, but Jupiter is somewhat advanced diving. People do get certified and start their diving in Jupiter, I just think there are a few easier places to get started in Florida. If you decide to take your newly minted diving daughter to Jupiter or even West Palm Beach, consider engaging a guide for just the two of you.

My sister did a refresher with Force E at Blue Heron Bridge in WPB a few years ago and had a good experience.

My thoughts are to do a few initial dives in Key Largo first on shallow sites with an operator like Rainbow Reef and if your daughter does well, then go to Jupiter with an operator like JDC or West Palm Beach.

Except diving the Vandenberg, I don't think Key West is a great diving location, at least with the standard operators. Maybe it would be worthwhile if yiu hired a boat like FINZ to take you to a really special site. Stay in Key Largo or Islamorada for the diving.

Except diving the Vandenberg, I don't think Key West is a great diving location, at least with the standard operators.

I'm not a big fan of Key West reef diving either. The Vandy is a fun wreck dive, but it might be a bit more than you have in mind at this time. If you want a feel for something in the lower/slower keys, Marathon has some nice patch reef diving. Captain Hooks runs a fun boat for some shallow reef bimbles. You would also be close enough to try Looe Key Marine Sanctuary if you catch a nice day. Looe Key Reef Resort runs a big Corinthian out to Looe Key for some really nice shallow reef diving. Captain Hooks also owns what used to be Strike Zone Charters on Big Pine and they make runs to Looe Key. Marathon is close enough to Key West for a day trip to take in the sights. The old town and wharfs are interesting to see if you haven't done it before. Honestly I haven't been down since the big storms, so the reefs might be a little beat up (others on SB can give you an update), but the shops I listed are up and running and I'm sure they would love to see you. Have fun. :)

Last edited:
@sportxlh is right on. Jupiter is not the best beginner diver location due to depth and current. I would probably concentrate on Key Largo with its shallow reefs and general lack of current.

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of input I have been looking. I’m taking another look at the itinerary and making few tweaks now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom