Palin' around The Palawan: October 10, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your ascents are quick? Any reason??
I assume you're referring to the "max ascent rate" indicated in the Sensus data grid. 76fpm is an alarming number!! It has nothing to do with our ascent from the bottom to the surface.

The Sensus unit samples every 10 seconds.

Turns out 70-some feet/min is the speed of an X-scooter turning really tightly during acrobatics. And some acrobatics move vertically. Once we understood this, we adjusted when and where we cut loose and go nuts with the scooters.

Ken and I have over 350 dives on the X-scooters (and 3,000 dives between us), and we LOVE to play with these miraculous and nimble machines.

At depths deeper than 60fsw, we'll frequently play hard, including loops and forward rolls and back flips... and the Sensus frequently picks up these acrobatics within a 10 second sampling segment.

That is the number that is then indicated as the "max ascent rate" for the entire dive.

These fpm rates are less important in deeper water and for just a few seconds. Physics.

As the dive progesses to shallower depths, we are more conservative in our scooter trajectories.

As a good friend said, as we near the surface, we have to settle down a bit and dive like adults. :laughing:

The Wonderful thing about the Sensus data is that it's interactive when I view it on my computer. I can select any segment and check the ascent rate. I know my ascent rates are safe where it counts.

This was a good question based on the numbers on the Sensus screen grab!

In terms of the overall dive profile, this was a very moderate dive profile, planned and executed using appropriate gasses. Our overall ascent was very generous on off-gassing time.

Scooters.

Perfect gasses.

Best Buddy.

What a day!!!!!

~~~~
Claudette

Back
Top Bottom