Palawan, Coron or El Nino?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjjj111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am thinking of going to Palawan. I understand Coron has wreck diving. I have never dove wrecks before, so I am not sure if it is worth doing over other dive locations like El Nino. Plus I will have a guest who does not dive so I would want some site seeing also. I am not sure if there would be enough things to see and do while in Coron over El Nino

I also thought of going to the Underground River as well, but with travel time there I am not sure if it is worth the time or not?

Any suggestions?

32.gif

I have dove Coron but not the other two. Considering you have a non-diver with you there is not much to do in Coron Town. The wrecks are deep and dark. The vis when I was there was poor. IMO Nitrox is a must to get the most bottom time and your money's worth. The boat trips to and from the wrecks are about 2 hours in each direction from Coron Town.

Yea if you have the cash. I just got back from El Nido. Its an expensive flight from and to Manila. Otherwise its a long 6 or 7 van trip from Puerta Princesa. The diving was so so in El Nido there is better in the philippines. El Nido is a cool little place seems to becoming popular with the young european crowd. If your not diving or staying at one of the El Nido resorts i think I would get bored after 1 or 2 days.

I don't know about the underground river. I think its a bunch of hype. The trip from El Nido to Sabang was like 6 hours and then we had to wait 5 more hours to get in.

The scenery above water is much better than those under as Kern had already mentioned on El Nido. But if you do not mind being pampered for couple of days then those exclusive resorts are fine. Diving is very very ordinary. However, chance encounter with a Dugone(captive)?
I would never suggest any non-diver to go to Coron town. There is nothing really interesting around there although some resorts might have different idea. As for the diver the wrecks are too far away if based in Coron.
Sanget Island Resort or Puerto del Soi are much closer though.
I never like the idea of spending a holiday with non-diver when diving is available. It doesn't make sense at all when friends go different ways during the day and only meet up at night.

If you just wanna dive, Coron is definitely it. As Gilligan said nitrox is a must. We dove air and ended up breezing through the more interesting parts of the wreck chasing our no deco times. The wrecks are very interesting and IMO are worth several dives not just the standard 1 dive/wreck "sightseeing tour". I am also seriously considering taking an overhead course because of my experience in Coron. Topside there is nothing much to do aside from the Calauit Island "safari" and the Makinit hot spring.

el nido today doesnt really offer the same good diving that it used to back in the nineties and early 2000's lack of conservation has led to over fishing and badly damaged reefs if your looking for a nice resort with good diving and alot of activities for the non-divers check out either dos palmas, or club paradise in busuangga.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like i am going to pass on going to Palawan this time for someplace else? Now I just need to figure out where?

I spent a week in Coron the year before last and would certainly recommend it for the wreck diving. There are a dozen or so that can be dived, and each of them offers a different experience. Some are quite deep, upto 45m to the prop, but other less so. Nitrox is a must for the deeper wrecks. We stayed and dived with Sea Dive. They certainly had great guides and tailored the type of dive to the experience of the group. Since my group was experienced we penetrated most of the wrecks. I will remember swimming up the prop shaft at 45m on one wreck for a long time!! Other groups were quite happily guided around the shallower parts of the wrecks and as far as I am aware were never taken outside their comfort zone. The trips to the wrecks did take a couple of hours, but the scenery was amazing en route. There is also a crash water thermal lake that can be dived.. Well worth the experience.. Layers of thermoclines and haloclines and the chance to bury yourself head first in the soft silt! The other plus was the Cathedral Cave. A short swim through a tunnel before surfacing I'm a sunlit cave !! Very special!! We stayed with Sea Dive .. Good basic rooms, good food and a comfy bar complete with memorabilia from the air raid that sank the ships. Probably true that not too much to do topside but I believe there were spas and island hopping trips availae also. The place was only an hours flight from Manilla and was well worth visiting!!

Back
Top Bottom