Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mesje

Registered
Reaction score
If I take a hotel in Koror, is there a possibility to swim and snorkel just near Koror without taking a snorkeling tour ?
What are prices in Palau, for example in restaurants and supermarkets?
Is diving in Palau also for beginners (for example in Blue corner) ?

The only hotel with decent snorkeling I know of is the posh Palau Pacific Resort:
http://palau.panpacific.com/

There are dive sites within the Rock Islands that are suitable for a Basic Open Water Class (i.e. absolute Beginner), but most of the signature Wreck, Wall and Drift Dives of Palau (such as Blue Corner) can be overwhelming for the beginner or novice diver.

Good eateries (Kramer's; Rock Island Cafe; Furusato's), prices a little high though --roughly $9-$18 for Lunch/Dinner last time I went a few years ago. . .

West Plaza Molak....(sp?) 80/ night? My favorite, hands down.
Best thing is to not get shuttle dependent (Caroline's, Sunrise Villa, PPR....too far...stay walkable, take cabs to dinner or walk)

near Sam's Tours.

You can muck dive for Mandarin Fish at sundown? ...if you like that sort of thing.

I love Palau, been about five times. PPR overrated (for me) It was nice though if you NEED flowers on your pillow.

JB dove Blue Corner as a beginner, but I worried about that, before going. He doesn't worry, so it was okay. (plus he had me, which has to be worth something)

I would not want to do it as a new diver. We had some though...we did get them put on another boat though because they were not up to speed and enjoyed the German Channel more anyway. It was a friendly re-arrangement.

Palau is wonderful! If you are a little green, consider hiring your own DM.(in addition to the charter) It would not cost much at all and will double your fun.

The staff is excellent about gearing to your level, the trick is speaking up. They even let me solo with my camera. Very laid back...I give them a ten.

The only beach on Palau is at PPR and it has great snorkeling. I use their beach all the time even if I'm not staying there. If you look like you belong no one will ? you if you are a guest or not.

Dale
Still on a little rock in the Pacific

Kevrumbo:
The only hotel with decent snorkeling I know of is the posh Palau Pacific Resort:
http://palau.panpacific.com/

but most of the signature Wreck, Wall and Drift Dives of Palau (such as Blue Corner) can be overwhelming for the beginner or novice diver.
QUOTE]

Hi,

We love the Palau Pacific Resort and highly recommend it. But it does take a little cash.

As for the diving, I will go way out on a limb here and recommend that you get at least 50 dives under your BC before heading to Palau. The good dives (= great dives) are not for beginners in general. For example, the Blue Corner can have some pretty impressive surges and current--and is usually done with a reef hook. For a beginner this can be intimidating and lead to a whole bunch of heavy breathing. You will not endear yourself to your dive/dinner companions if you cut their dives short due to a very short tank!

Palua is, in my opinion, world class diving for most divers. It should be on everyone's top 10 list. So, put it there and plan to do it when you can truly enjoy its splendors, of which there are many.

joewr

i dove palau with probably no more than 10 dives under my belt and half of those were when i did my OW three years prior.

i did a refresher course prior to going with a guy leading the group. both he and i felt confident that i was skilled enough to dive in palau.

whether you do it now or later, palau is a must. just swaying at blue corner hooked to the reef is amazing. blue hole too: great place for taking photos.

Another consideration is you could inform them of your experience level when (if?) you book. Present it as though you are asking if they can provide beginner level dives (german channel, etc) If they have enough beginners booking (or expect to) they have the option of putting you on a less advanced boat for the easier sites.

I like to stress how important it is for people to ask for what they want/ need BEFORE booking, and that way you are more likely to get it than after you have paid. I ask them to "note that" on my account. (free EAN, late check out..) In our case this last visit, we only had four days so we requested before booking that we wanted All Dives to be Blue Corner, Big Drop Off...etc. We did not want to get stuck at jelly fish lake or doing certain less favorite dives. If you ask afterwards you are a PITA, if you ask before paying..it's their "perogative" and they don't say no in most cases.

I've stayed at the West Plaza Malakal the last 5 years prior to that the PPR and Sunrise....but see no reason for the additional Hotel expense unless I am entertaining someone...LOL...around the West Plaza you have Kramers, The Carp and Sam's Bottom time grill...great places to eat.

6 years ago I was a pretty nervious diver and about ready to give up the sport....until I dove with Keith Santillano who has Palaudive.com....he doubled my bottom time and took 8 lbs off my weight belt....I just got back from Fakarava and Rangiroa....Those currents make the Blue corner seem pretty tame...LOL....With out Keith's training...I could never of done that type of diving. He a good friend and I will only dive with him every year I go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom