Palau vs Chuuk vs Bikini?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bikini is only diveable now for very limited periods of the year. There is no dive operation and only a liveaboard that goes there for a month or two.

Unless you like shipwrecks, then I would not go to Chuuk. It is also a lot more "third world" than the other places you mention. If you have a non-diving partner, forget it. You do not need tech certification, there are plenty of wrecks to dive shallower than 30 metres (100 feet) and you mostly do not even need to go deeper than 25 metres. By the way I have been there six times, twice for almost three weeks each time.

Palau is fantastic! Well worth diving.

If you want to do two places, try Guam. Some very good diving there and it has lots of other features.

Hope this helps.

I second Guam. Having lived there for the last ten months now and coming from Hawaii for ten years before, Guam is amazing. Viz outside of Apra harbor is 200'+ almost year round and the water is the most beautiful blue. Viz inside the harbor can be poor a lot of the time due to the boat traffic, but usually you can get 80-100' . Boat rides are usually 20-30 minutes depending if leaving from Cabras in Apra harbor or 15-20 minutes if leaving from Agat harbor. Also plenty of places for any deco/tek that you want to do. Shoot me a message if you'd like to go and I would be more than happy to go out if I am on island.

I have worked in Coron, Palau, Chuuk and 2 season in Bikini soon heading for a third. We offer 10-14 day trips on Truk Master to Bikini, we start our trips from either Kwajalein or Majuro then off to Bikini, we have done one private charter around Kwajalein shark diving the passes, but really we focus on Bikini and the wrecks for half the year and Truk Lagoon for the other half. All the places mentioned have WW2 wrecks, Coron, Palau and Chuuk are mostly Japanese merchant ships or Maru(s). The big difference between Coron and Palau is that there has been some salvage done and the wrecks have few artifacts left. That is not to sy they are not great wrecks to dive, they are great. Chuuk has the same kind of wrecks with a few warships, IJN 169 (Japanese sub) and 2 destroyers along with a couple of planes. Chuuk is great since there still are lots of artifacts, telegraphs, binnacles, helms, shells, torpedoes, loads of personal artifacts and lots more. There are lots of opportunities for recreational divers in Coron, Palau and Truk, as well as Tech diving. Bikini is very different, the wrecks were naval ships all part of nuclear testing done in 1946. The ships were all battle ready with nobody onboard (obviously haha). There is misinformation that there are many wrecks in the lagoon but in fact there are 9 dive-able wrecks left from the testing one a Gilliam-class attack transport the USS Carlisle, there are 2 battleships, The Nagato and The Arkansas, 2 destroyers, USS Lamson, USS Anderson, 2 subs, USS Pilotfish, USS Apogon, 1 Aircraft carrier USS Saratoga and The Prinz Eugen which is not in Bikini but in Kwajalein, There are remains of a few more wrecks but not too much left. Bikini is all tech diving as the seabed is between 50-54m the shallowest you can be on a wreck is the top of the Island on Sara at 18m. On Truk Master you must be tech trained to come with us. Also it is not "necessary to be on a rebreather. We get many open circuit divers in Bikini.

I did bikini , unfortuanly it was deep air (it was supposed to be tri mix ) that said it was a trip of a life time I say do it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom