Palau vs Chuuk vs Bikini?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdevic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When I went to Micronesia a few years ago, I stopped along the Island Hopper route for sightseeing and ended up in Palau. I did my DSD 2nd to last day in Palau (fell in love with scuba), dived at Yap for the mantas under supervision, and then did my proper Open Water in Saipan.
Now, I am thinking going back to that region on UA miles in late 2019/early 2020 (one of the best use of UA miles imo). I can visit maximum 2 places and have maximum 2 weeks to spare. I have narrow it down to Palau, Chuuk and Bikini Atoll.
  • Palau: I really enjoyed my snorkeling and DSD in Palau/Rock Islands, but I did not get to dive more advanced sites last time. Because my love for marine life and corals, it is very appealing for me to go back there - even though I prefer checking off new places:)
  • Chuuk: I would normally choose coral reefs or big fish over wrecks. But a few folks I know who have been there all loved the dives and call them "top dives ever". My concern is 1) the typical length of the liveaboard 2) the hassle/time of getting there via Guam or HNL, 3) the recommended TEC40/50 (I do have about 100 dives and went down 50 meters on air at the blue hole and 40 meters on nitrox at los Cabos, and generally very conformable with deep dives in warm water. However, I've never done planned deco dives - what is the best way to bridge that gap in training?)
  • Bikini: It is more mysterious / exotic for me compared to Chuuk, and I liked Majuro last time. My concern is: 1) mandatory tech certification - which will be challenging for me to do in Toronto and likely just for this trip 2) relatively long liveaboard that will likely take up 2+ weeks including travel time. 3) if I choose to continue onto FSM/Palau, the Island Hopper flight schedule is limited and I am not sure I want to endure UA154/155 so many times in 5 years.:p
Would appreciate any advice - especially for folks who have dived them all.

Thanks a lot!

Ah, maybe I should rule out MAJ then. I just talked to a friend of mine recently went to Truk for a liveaboard - he was AOW + Nitrox certified like me and he said they went down to as deep as 60M+ (average 40-50M) on a single tank? Does it make sense??? I guess you cannot stay more than a few minutes at depth.

I did the Odyssey about 5 years ago and they offered single or double 80s with an isolation manifold. Doubles are nice even if you are diving no-decompression profiles most of the time. Other than requiring Advanced Nitrox to sell you pure Oxygen, I don't recall that they were all that uptight about more than AOW & Nitrox cards.

A course like Decompression Procedures is probably not a bad idea if you have not done much decompression diving.

Thanks very much! I did look into the courses last night. My LDS offers both below (as well as related adv. nitrox course) - any recommendation as to which affiliation is better? I guess PADI Tec 40/50 is not recommended in general?
  • TDI Decompression Procedures Course
  • NAUI Technical Decompression Diver

Ah, maybe I should rule out MAJ then. I just talked to a friend of mine recently went to Truk for a liveaboard - he was AOW + Nitrox certified like me and he said they went down to as deep as 60M+ (average 40-50M) on a single tank? Does it make sense??? I guess you cannot stay more than a few minutes at depth.

40-60M with those certs would be grossly irresponsible, particularly on a single tank, and on nitrox is really pushing the limits of fatal oxygen levels. I really hope he gave you incorrect information. If not, you may want to take out a life insurance policy on him.

you can have a great time diving palau within recreational limits. both of the aggressor boats are run well in palau.

take an/dp (or the equivalent like tec50 / extended range) if you opt for truk to get the most out of the trip.

Deeper than 111 on Ean32? Yikes.

Back
Top Bottom