Palau Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice pics Marlo......looks like you've got the hang of that S2!!

Thanks, Chippy.

I have to admit though that I ran into many problems -- primarily user error, on this marathon trip.

1) I forgot to pack the extension tube for the dome port. Turned out not to be a major problem b/c I just swapped the extension tube for the 105 mm flat port and the pictures semed to be fine.

2) I forgot to pack the focus ring for the 105 mm lens. This was a major problem b/c I wasn't able to take any of the macro shots that I intended to take on my sole night dive.

3) I had the air conditioning in my hotel room cranked up too high, so the sunset/landscape photos I took from my balcony all had that soft-glow, cheezy glamour photography look to them.

4) Didn't check my dive light before leaving. It didn't work on my night dive. Luckily, I checked before the dive and managed scrounged up some extra lights.

Lesson learned: make a danged checklist and follow it!

I had a few problems too, on my first outings. The main problems were due to those horrible Nikonos connectors and a flood on one of my DS125's. Thankfully Ike's replaced the flooded strobe, but I've also flooded the bulkhead (due to not inverting the housing when removing the sync lead - what a stupid design) which means that I can no longer use TTL, so I've just been using the full, 1/2, 1/4 settings on the strobe, as the sync lead is still firing the strobes correctly.

I love the intercompatibility of the Aquatica gear though. With the macro port, dome port and one extension ring and one zoom ring (the 12-24mm ring also fits my 24-85mm) I can use 3 different lenses.

Couldn't you have just used the 105mm in autofocus mode? I've been thinking about getting rid of my 60mm and going for a 105mm instead. The minimum focussing distance on the 60mm is just far to close to the port, a matter of millimetres, so lighting a shot correctly can be a real pain in the A&^%!!

Pauline:
Cool pics!!
Bummer you didn't get to shoot the Mandarin Fish...
Thanks to you, now I know that they could be hanging out outside Chandelier Cave. Definitely will keep that in mind. There's a few things on my must-take-picture-off list, and the Mandarin Fish is in the Top 3!

That was one of my top goals on my trip there... Success! Shot with the Sea & Sea DX 3000 Digital.

Dang, Larry, rub it in!

Great shot. I envy you. I didn't realize you were on this board. It's me, Marlo S., one of your customers on Saipan. Haven't ordered from you from a while, but when I lose some more gear expect another call from me. BTW, my avatar was taken with the Reefmaster Sealife 1.3 meg digital I got from you last year. It's now been passed on to a friend and he loves using it.

Chippy,

I didn't really think about using autofocus on the macro because I tried it in the hotel room and wasn't too pleased with it in low light conditions. So I just slapped the 12-24 on the camera and tried shooting close focus WA shots. Then the OTHER problem happened: the lithium batteries died while on the night dive, so the camera wouldn't work. I managed to get 3-4 shots before it died, but the WA at night just doesn't suffice for a true macro lens.

Sorry to hear about your floods, but seems like you've adjusted.

= I was so used to using manual settings on my strobes anyway with my C4000 and YS90DXs that the TTL function on the S2 didn't really impress me. Old habits die hard.

marpacifica:
Then the OTHER problem happened: the lithium batteries died while on the night dive, so the camera wouldn't work. .

Ah yes, the other pain in butt with using the S2!!!

Beautiful shots!!!! Brings me back to my trip just a couple months ago!!!!

and great shot scubatoys

Chris

Larry...that shot made your trip!

Marpacifica,
Sounds like you had fun in Palau. When were you there? We just got back a few weeks ago. I'm living in Guam right now, so I will definately be going back!! Maybe to do the aggressor next time, would you recommend it? Anyway, it looks like you have some great shots. I noticed you had a large group of black tips close by! I took my Canon A80 down and really enjoyed the results. I was lucky enough to get a few shots of Mantas and Mandarine Fish...both were amazing. Anyway, best wishes and happy diving!!
Chad

Palau Gallary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom