Palau Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marpacifica

Contributor
Reaction score
Once upon a time in Micronesia, but now bubbling i
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got done posting some photos from a recent trip to Palau (and other assorted favorite shots from various places over the past year):

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/17314

I dove with Fish 'n Fins the first day, hitting Ngedebus Wall where I saw a 5' long zebra shark (don't know why it's called that -- it's spotted), then a drift dive from Turtle Wall to New Drop Off. Lots of soft corals but very little current so no shark action. Went with Sam's Tours for a visit to Chandelier Cave, Pincher's (night dive) and German Channel. Saw tons of leaf scorpionfish but no mantas at German Channel, and 3 mandarin fish (sorry, no photos) outside of Chandelier Cave. Took some shots of the dive instructor, Jonas, as he had his teeth cleaned by some cleaner shrimp. Chandelier cave was so-so. Glad I did it but didn't find it too impressive. If I had known there were mandarin fish outside I would have just stayed out there the whole time. I was in Palau for business so that's all the dives I could squeeze in. Then headed off to Honolulu and got to go on a two tank dive before work ate up the rest of my week. Hey, if you can get work to "subsidize" your diving obsession, go for it. Dove with Oahu Divers to the Sea Tiger wreck and Kaiser Reef, both just a few minutes outside of the Waikiki Marina. 100+ vis. at the Sea Tiger, which sits in about 120 feet, so just a short dive there. Kaiser Reef was pretty beat up, but there were plenty of butterflyfish that followed you around looking for handhouts. One of them posed while doing a headstand.

Water temps in Palau were 79-81 degrees F, and 73 degrees F in Oahu (BRRRRRR -- I was freezing in my 1 mm).

It was the first real test for my new photo setup -- no leaks in the Aquatica housing but on the test dives a month ago I didn't check a port extension o-ring very well and sprung a small leak. User error, but luckily no camera inside at that time.

Still can't figure out how to link photos directly to a URL, so here are some attachments of some of the photos. Enjoy, and happy bunny day!

OK, just a few more....

Cool pics!!
Bummer you didn't get to shoot the Mandarin Fish...
Thanks to you, now I know that they could be hanging out outside Chandelier Cave. Definitely will keep that in mind. There's a few things on my must-take-picture-off list, and the Mandarin Fish is in the Top 3!

Pauline,

Make sure you go in the late afternoon for the Chandelier/Mandarin fish dive. The mandarins like to wait until late afternoon to early evening to come out of their hiding places. The sites they like to hang out look like a field of dry leaves -- they're actually pieces of coral that look like individual leaves that are piled on top of each other. There's also another place they hang out, at Sam's dock right below one of the bar tables so at the end of the day you may be able to see some flitting about while you enjoy a drink.

I think the mandarinfish like to wait until a certain phase of the moon to mate so if you time your visit/dives right, you may be able to see them in action.

I'll make sure I'll go there at the right time. If I'm correct, Sam's Tours offers the Chandelier Cave as a 'third dive' on the way back, so that will probably be the afternoon anyway.

Can you tell me what phase of the moon they're in action??? I haven't booked the trip yet (will do that somewhere in the summer) so Im still flexibel with the dates..

Cool pics... I gotta find someway for work to subsidize my diving...

Thanks for the compliments, ladies and gents.

Yes, the work subsidies are the best thing since sliced bread. Now if only I could convince my employer that my camera is a requirement of my job..... hehehehehe

Back
Top Bottom