Palau or YAP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike & Travelnsj - thank you for the fast response. We were thinking about Aug and Sept because we wanted a little more time to plan.

Would end of May to middle of June be better for diving in Palau? What about June - July? Thank you again.

Phil

My understanding is May is good, June is probably OK, and July is iffy. We were in Palau on Eclipse in mid-July 2001. We had great weather, but the week before was a big storm; I think the prior group of people weren't able to dive at all.

Hello.

I hate to say but...that is actually the worst time there sorry! :( often blue corner is not diveable at that time of year due to big seas and wind from SW

lots of rain and wind. you are better to go dec through june for more reliable weather.
is your timing flexible?
its not always bad Aug/sept but it is 50% of the time for sure.

And what about Oct/Nov? We're planing our trip to Palau late autumn - does it make sense at all? The other thing is, my wife is non-diver (there's a sligt chance she'll get P1 certified by that time though), so cloudy and rainy weather is rather not an option for us...

Thanks in advance,
Piotr

Hello.

And what about Oct/Nov? We're planing our trip to Palau late autumn - does it make sense at all? The other thing is, my wife is non-diver (there's a sligt chance she'll get P1 certified by that time though), so cloudy and rainy weather is rather not an option for us...

Thanks in advance,
Piotr

Neuro....Listen to Mike....He lived there....I've been 8x and have gone Jan thru March. I have found January to be windy at times (more so) than March. All the people I know who lives and dives there, Mid Feb thru April is the absolute best. You can hit nice weather in October thru December.....but chances are not as good as Feb thru April.

Thanks for clarification. You made me woried though, I think we'll re-plan our Palau trip to the next Feb indeed, and choose Sipadan for autumn '08...

Best regards,
P.

OK, a couple final questions.
My girlfriend has been contemplating getting certified so she can dive with me. She has been reading that Palau is for intermediate to advanced divers. Is this true? Will she, as a newly certified OW diver be able to dive sites like Blue hole, Blue corner? If not, what dive sites are recommended for a newbie? I want to make sure she's safe, if the dive sites have too much current or anything that could make a newbie uncomfortable, we may have to postpone this trip until she gets some experience.

Thank you for the help.

Phil

OK, a couple final questions.
My girlfriend has been contemplating getting certified so she can dive with me. She has been reading that Palau is for intermediate to advanced divers. Is this true? Will she, as a newly certified OW diver be able to dive sites like Blue hole, Blue corner? If not, what dive sites are recommended for a newbie? I want to make sure she's safe, if the dive sites have too much current or anything that could make a newbie uncomfortable, we may have to postpone this trip until she gets some experience.

Thank you for the help.

Phil

Palau is for all divers...many dive sites to choose from. For a new diver wanting to dive the Blue Corner....Have a good DM someone like Keith at PalauDive.com....they will give a detailed briefing and baby sit a new diver...That is not a dive to be missed......do not postpone...Go to Palau....it was number my #1 for 8 years in a row...until I went to Papua...now it is my second fav:D

I hate to say but...that is actually the worst time there sorry! :( often blue corner is not diveable at that time of year due to big seas and wind from SW

lots of rain and wind. you are better to go dec through june for more reliable weather.
is your timing flexible?
its not always bad Aug/sept but it is 50% of the time for sure.

how bout late nov-early Dec?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom