Palau or YAP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TeqP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My girlfriend and I are thinking of Palau or YAP as places to go for our next vacation later this year. Or maybe I should say that I am thinking of Palau and YAP. My girlfriend is not a diver, she does snorkel. If we go to either location, are there reefs off the beach for her to go snorkel while I go on a couple boat dives? Will she be safe on her own snorkeling? Or are the boat dives shallow enough for her to join our boat and snorkel? What topside activities do you recommend for each location? Does anyone have an estimate on the airfare from Palau to YAP? Maybe I can talk her into both places? :)

Thank you for the input.

Phil

If you are only making one trip to this part of the world I would do both islands. I like Yap end of Feb first week of March. Thats the time on Yap to see lots of local activities. (Yap Day) Palau only has one beach its the old sea plane ramp at PPR. Good snorkeling. Also do at least one night camping on one of the Rock Islands. Sams does a very good job outfitting for camping.

Dale
Still on a little rock in the Pacific

Diving in both locales is awesome. Really think both islands are more diver oriented but snorkeling is possible. Yap is known for its manta rays and Palau is just so vesatile in the marine life its amazing. Cant go wrong with either place and like CARHILL says unless you are planning to travel to the South Pacific on a regular basis do both.

I'm from Jersey and it was at least a 20 hour plane ride or should I say rides. Philly, Houston, Hawaii, Guam, Chuuck, Palau, Yap oh right then there were the plane rides back!!! To go for any less then two weeks is just crazy.

In Palau, there isn't a lot of night life other than having a drink at Kramers, The Drop Off, Rip-Tide, etc. For the day, there is snorkeling off the beach at Palau Pacific Resort, which is safe, and Kayaking around the Islands. There's a Beach at the Rip-Tide, and Aquariam, etc. But not a lot else.

You may want to consider staying on Peleliu at the Dolphin Bay Resort. There will be zero night life there, but there is readily available snorkeling and it's far closer to the good dive sites (Blue Corner, etc.). Because of the short boat ride you can beat the boats out of Koror to them in the morning. But be advised, there's not a lot going on out there, so you could get bored. You'll be fairly isolated if you stay and dive with them, but I've heard good things.

If you have the money, the safe bet would be to stay at Palau Pacific Resort on Koror. It's very nice, and there are things to do for your girlfriend. But it's not cheap. The dive shop there, Splash, caters mostly to Japanese - so you will probably want to book your dives through Sam's Tours, Neco's, or Keith Santillano at Dive Palau if you want your DM speaking english. They will pick you up from the PPR. The PPR is probably the nicest place to stay in Palau, but they charge for it.

For considerably less money, you can stay at the Waterfront Villa of Palau. It's clean, and there's an enclave of ex-pat American's who live there full time in the condo's and have a cookout most Friday nights. The bar, Capn' Fins will have a few people in it at night, and the food is great, (but slow).

I have been to Both. Yap a couple of times and Palau 8 times. Yap is a great Island and culture but I am not a fan of the Diving...I rate it as just OK....I'm sure if I was one of those people that see the 20 or 30 Mantas..I would of loved it but the top side it is a wonderful Island. Palau has always been one my favorite dive spots and I've seen as many Mantas there as I have seen in Yap. The PPR is the best spots stay if you want beach and easy snorkeling. In the last few years I stay at the West Plaza (like a motel 6) but nothing fancy. I disagree with Boxcar there is a good nightlife in Palau. I like the Dragon Tai, The Taj, Kramers, Bottom bar and grill etc....Lots to do in Palau. For a dive op and you want to bring your wife for Snorkeling Sams does have some boats for that. Keith at PalauDive.com can and occasionally will do that depending on his boat load and the group. If you want the finest Dive guide Keith is it.

I would do both Islands if you can.

Thank you all for the replies. I am thinking that I may try to convince her to get certified over there so she will be busy while I dive and once she's certified, she can dive with me. I can't convince her to get certifed in California due to the water temp. Maybe 80+F water will convince her.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Phil

TeqP....if Keith is not busy...he is one of the best teachers I have ever had. He certified me for Nitrox and when i was going to give up diving....(as I thought It was to much work for half hour dives on a 100 tank)....he taught me how to dive! If you need specific info to contact him PM me.

Well, I believe I finally was able to convince my girlfriend to take our vacation in Palau, with a long layover in Hawaii, so she, I mean we can go to Maui. Thank you all for the links and advice.

We are looking to go end of August to maybe early September 2008. Is this a good time as far as any more rain or decreased viz? What means of transportation do people mostly use (e.g. car rental or taxi)? Has anyone stayed on Carp Island? if so, is it recommended?

Thanks again,
Phil

I hate to say but...that is actually the worst time there sorry! :( often blue corner is not diveable at that time of year due to big seas and wind from SW

lots of rain and wind. you are better to go dec through june for more reliable weather.
is your timing flexible?
its not always bad Aug/sept but it is 50% of the time for sure.

Phil....Listen to Mike.....August and Sept is great for Hawaii (as long as no hurricanes are headed that way)....but Palau....NO!....I have known people who have gotten great deals on the Aggressor in late July and August....they dove wrecks in the harbor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom