Palau: Liveaboard decisions? Compared to shore-based? Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How long are the boat rides from the resort to the dive sites ?

For me, the big advantage of the liveaboard is the ease of diving. I find the convenience of already being on the water at the dive site very relaxing.

If I get a chance to go to Palau, I would consider doing both liveaboard and staying at a land resort. Kind of getting the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
I think the ride was about 40 minutes, but it was beautiful going through the Rock Islands so it went by quickly.

I think the ride was about 40 minutes, but it was beautiful going through the Rock Islands so it went by quickly.
It's one of the most beautiful & scenic ride out to a dive site on the planet. However in rough afternoon squalls and bad weather it can be a very chilly, wet & pounding boat ride (bring a light rain jacket or poncho).

The advantage of the Liveaboards is that you're the first divers in the morning at the popular dive sites like Blue Corner, almost a full hour before the land based boats arrive (as well as doing three to four dives per day).

Ok-- more research when I should be studying....

Four boats seem to fit the dates I have available. Prices are similar, but the two Aggressors do offer a 10% discount for retired military. Although Nitrox is extra (but it isn't on at least some of the shore-based. Weird).

Live-Aboards:

Aggressor II
Rock Island Aggressor
Ocean Hunter I
Ocean Hunter III

Some dates work a little better than others, but all are doable. I think. My wife likes smaller groups, but one of the boat only has six divers-- that might be just a tiny bit *too* small of a group, personally.

Any druthers one way or the other, or is it a case of "flip a coin and choose the one with the best dates?"

If we go land-based (and it's going to come down to price, I think), I'm leaning towards Palau Dive Adventures, simply because they're a smaller operation. I'm not a huge fan of large "assembly line" dive ops (nothing against them, just not my cuppa), so I'm maybe biased toward a smaller, personal operation (not really too interested in "concierge diving"-- I prefer to move and prep my own gear rather than be waited on).

So far, choices are:
Palau Dive Adventures
Necco
Fish & Fins
Sam's

As for a hotel, the wife got near the internet and seems to like the Palau Plantation Resort as an option other than the Pacific Royal Resort (Palau Pacific is out of our price range). It seems to have good reviews, but I don't know much about it. Any thoughts? I like that it's a fair bit cheaper than the PPR or PRR and that it's a bit smaller.

Thanks for the information-- keep it coming.... Please!

Last edited:
Tropic Dancer-- I really can't find it, and links tend to take you to the Aggressor fleets.

Did I miss a memo?

Edit. Nevermind. I figured out that the Rock Islands Aggressor is/was the Tropic Dancer.

I wonder why?

Last edited:
Again the Sea Passion Hotel is the most convenient in terms of walk-able distances to the Dive-ops of Neco Marine & SamsTours, small mini-markets and the bar & grill eateries above. It's also within walking distance of where the Aggressor & Tropic Dancer Liveaboards embark (as of 2014, the last time I was there). A less expensive hotel with the same walking distance convenience is West Plaza Malakal (try and get a package deal with Sams or Neco Marine).

The advantage of having lodging within walking distance next to the land based dive-ops like Sams & Neco is that you don't have to wait for van pick-up to start the dive day --just walk right over when the dive-op opens first thing in the morning, check the weather report, set up your gear, analyze your nitrox, find & get settled on your assigned dive boat for the day, and then go eat breakfast as the guests arriving via van or boat pick-up begin to come in. In other words, you are the first one to arrive and the last to leave after taking time rinsing dive gear at the end of the day without being dependent on a shuttle van waiting on you and going back & forth from your hotel.

The Ocean Hunter I at 60' long is the smallest and one of the oldest of the liveaboards, and a great charter for you and five of your best friends who are all divers (i.e. People you know well and that you have no problems sharing cozy ship's quarters for a week or more). The advantage of Ocean Hunter I is that unlike the larger liveaboard fleet, it can moor directly at or near the popular dive sites, and you can dive directly from its dive platform. The other larger liveaboards usually overnight in the vicinity of German Channel, and by the time their dive skiffs arrive at a popular site like Blue Corner, you've already been down & hooked in at depth watching the show for 20 minutes. . .

Last edited:
The Wife looked at the Sea Passions and shot it down, so that's out. She want's a *nice* hotel-- or at least a great view and something romantic.

She's the Minister of War and Finance, so her vote counts for a lot-- more than mine, actually!

I've been reading about the Aggressor fleet, and while there's a lot good, there are enough not so good reviews to give me pause. The little voice of prudence is telling me that maybe I might want to take a step back on that one. Being the odd couple out is probably not huge fun.

As far as the Ocean Hunter I, if I had a bunch of friends with me, that might be the way to go, but it will just be my wife and me.

Which leaves me with the Ocean Hunter III.

Hotel, wise-- I'm stuck. It seems that there are two types of hotels on Palau: Stupidly expensive "I could be staying in downtown Manhattan" ones (PRR, PPR), and budget "It's fine as long as you keep your eyes closed" ones (and those are NOT going to fly with the Wife). I'm trying not to blow my entire retirement fund here, but the Wife would like something that says "tropical island" and has a bit of romance to it-- not a Japanese tourist trap.

I understand the concerns and advantages of being near the dive operations. But, I'm not sure what I want exists. And I don't really want to spend the coin on the PRR or PPR, but maybe I'm going to have to.

Ugh.

Shore-based, I think I'm narrowing it down to Sam's or Dive Adventures (although they're not good at all about replying to email). Not sure which way to jump, exactly. More to follow, I suppose. It seems strange that Sam's doesn't post prices. Strange AND scary-- a dive op that's afraid to post their prices?

R.

Last edited:
Try contacting MDA Travel and Dive Shop on Guam, and see what dive & lodging deals with PPR or PRR they have for your dates of interest: Travel Specials | MDA

"The Wife looked at the Sea Passions and shot it down, so that's out. She want's a *nice* hotel-- or at least a great view and something romantic."

This is MUCH nicer than Palau Plantaion ( no beach, view,) I would do Sea Passions or PRR if you can't do PPR. I agree with contacting an agent who might have some specials. We used World of Diving for all our arrangements and they were great.

Back
Top Bottom