Palau 'don't miss' dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
There's a good chance that I'll be going to Palau for a few days next March. We'll probably do 8 dives so I'd like them to be good ones! We are all experienced divers (no beginners!) and I'd like some comments on the sites for boat dives. What would you consider to be the top 8 dives in Palau? If you could add a little description of them it would be really great.

How can you go to Palau and only do 8 dives?

You can bounce off of a guidebook for location and description but here you go - -

Blue Corner
Blue Holes
Saies Tunnel
Ulong Channel (timed with a full or new moon tide).
Chandelier Cave (hopefully the 3rd dive of a day and not counted towards your 8)
Jellyfish Lake (once again not a real dive)
Yellow Wall
Peleliu Cut

Kim:
There's a good chance that I'll be going to Palau for a few days next March. We'll probably do 8 dives so I'd like them to be good ones! We are all experienced divers (no beginners!) and I'd like some comments on the sites for boat dives. What would you consider to be the top 8 dives in Palau? If you could add a little description of them it would be really great.

Kevink's list is not bad. I would agree with most but Yellow Wall. Tis a rather lame dive with lots of dead coral. Some shark action but not really worth it. If you get the chance to go to Peleliu then instead of Yellow Wall go to the west side to a site called (depending on who you dive with) Barrack's Point, Matt's Clam Bake, or White Beach. Same site just different names.

Other good dives are New Drop Off (resident Eagle Ray)
I always enjoy Ngemelis Coral Garden too, if you like things like Cuttlefish, Leaf Fish etc (more of a slow dive really)

kevink:
How can you go to Palau and only do 8 dives?
Yes I know! It's a Japanese thing - the guy who is organising the trip only has a few days off. Actually I'll probably see if I can stay a bit longer. One thing though - Palau is a fairly local trip from Japan, even Hawaii is farther away!!
Anyway - thanks for the list - I'll check them out.

8 dives? Are you going for a day and a half? I did 48 dives between Truk and Palau in a 2 week period.

Blue Corner
Blue Holes
Saies Tunnel
Ulong Channel (timed with a full or new moon tide).
Chandelier Cave (hopefully the 3rd dive of a day and not counted towards your 8)
Jellyfish Lake (once again not a real dive)
Yellow Wall
Peleliu Cut​

The above 8 are solid. Blue Corner and Blue Holes are musts, and I thought Saies Tunnel and Ulong Channel were great, too (Ulong Channel was a FUN ride, we hit it on a really good tide).

Jellyfish lake is okay. Its certainly different, but its a snorkle, not a dive. You have to stay above 15 feet.

On the Blue Explorer, we did Jellyfish Lake, Chandelier Cave, and Mandarin Fish Lake as the final 3 "dives". Chandelier Cave is very cool, but you aren't going to go deep (I think it bottomed out at 35' at the deepest). Mandarin Fish Lake allows you to do the "Emergency Stand Up" just in case you run out of air, you'll basically be at 15' or less. Those 3 plus a wreck dive made for a good last day of diving, its pretty hard to get much nitrogen built up before your plane flight on Nitrox 33 at the depths of Chandelier Cave and Mandarin Fish Lake.

My most memorable dive in Palau was German Channel. There are a pair of cleaning stations where Manta Rays get cleaned. We hit it just right, we had 5 Manta Rays circling our group at 15'. Its apparently hit or miss, if you hit it right, the Mantas are awesome.

If you're going down to Peleliu, Peleliu Express is pretty similar to Blue Corner, its worth it. Orange Beach was also pretty cool in Peleliu. Keep in mind that if you go to Peleliu, that's going to be your whole day, so the reality is that you're going to do 4 dives there, you won't be able to match 'em up with dives in other locations.

Big Drop Off has some stretches of nice soft coral. Its in the stretch with Blue Corner and Blue Holes - if you're going piece meal, you may not get a choice if you're doing Blue Corner and Blue Holes, Big Drop Off may be a mandatory part of your itinerary.

If you're into it, you might want to consider doing some of the wreck dives. The one I dove (I think it was the Aibo, I don't have my divelog handy) was nice, albeit not as good as what you'll see in Truk.

You're [size=+2]really[/size] going to want to stay longer. There are so many "must do" dives in Palau. Everyone's covered all the best sites so I'll just recommend a "must do" for the last day you're there. This is not a dive but the "Rock Island" kayak tour with Sam's Dive Tours should be high on your priority list of things to do on the last day when you can't dive. See http://www.samstours.com/ for more info. Have fun...:)

Sam's also put's out a great "dive site" book with full discriptions of each site and color photos.

Mandatory:
Blue Corner
Blue Hole
Jellyfish Lake

Excellent:
Saies Tunnel
Yellow Wall
Peleliu Express (not for faint of heart)

and two really good wreck dives that I don't remember the names of... (I think they're in the Lonely Planet "Diving & Snorkling in Palau" book...

You also need to do at least one kayaking trip through the rock islands. (probably easy to combine with Jellyfish Lake)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom