Painting my Jet fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ya! I wanna paint them in yellow or blue or other high vis color so that I can be seen by my dive buddies in murky water. Has anyone ever tried painting their rubber fins? What kind of oil paint should be used for this?

Thanks.

Ya! I wanna paint them in yellow or blue or other high vis color so that I can be seen by my dive buddies in murky water. Has anyone ever tried painting their rubber fins? What kind of oil paint should be used for this?

Thanks.

You cannot paint your fins, sorry, will not work. If you want yellow Jet Fins then here ya go:

Scubapro Yellow Jet Fins discounts on sale ScubaPro

PA030589_zpsd146089f.jpg

N

And why do you find it so important for your dive buddies to see you?

Just keep in mind that petroleum products will eat away at rubber.
I'd go with a simple spray paint or a large quick dry paint marker (toulene based). Although toulene also dissolves rubber, if the paint drys fast it won't have any noticeable effect (the toulene will evaporate as the paint dries). Brush on paint on the other hand might take a while to dry so the toulene or any dissolving compounds will just be sitting on your fins for that time.

Best to do a quick sloppy thin coat, let it dry, then layer on top.

And for what it's worth, I've painted my bunny on my jet fins several times with a fine point paint marker. No gouges to see as of yet.

On a different post this week I read about Scuba Goop Id Marker 1Oz @ Divers-Supply.com I have never heard of it or tried it before so I don't have an opinion on the stuff. But it might be worth looking into for your needs?

~Michael~

I would advise using waterproof reflective tape, works well if your buddies are using lights.

Glow in the dark tape (or that scuba-goop stuff) can also work well on night dives in good visibility.

However, I see this as more of a fashion statement, as your buddies should already be able to see you.

And why do you find it so important for your dive buddies to see you?

If you loose your dive buddies ... than who is buying the post-dive beer? :drunks:

Note about Scuba Goop from another thread -

"Has anyone else purchased "Scuba Goop" from Scuba.com? It is marketed as a unique product for marking your scuba gear, and it works well for that purpose. BUT ... if you look closely, you will see there is another label underneath the "Scuba Goop" label. Soak and rub a little, and you will see the original label: "Scribbles 3D Paint." Sounds like a craft store product, right? I went to Jo Ann Fabrics and asked if they had something called Scribbles 3D Paint. They had a whole rack of it. The exact same product. The difference? "Scuba Goop" costs $5.95. "Scribbles 3D Paint" costs $1.19.

Live and learn. Put "Scuba" on anything [COLOR=#009900 !important]and watch[/COLOR] the price multiply.

Bill"

Note about Scuba Goop from another thread -

"Has anyone else purchased "Scuba Goop" from Scuba.com? It is marketed as a unique product for marking your scuba gear, and it works well for that purpose. BUT ... if you look closely, you will see there is another label underneath the "Scuba Goop" label. Soak and rub a little, and you will see the original label: "Scribbles 3D Paint." Sounds like a craft store product, right? I went to Jo Ann Fabrics and asked if they had something called Scribbles 3D Paint. They had a whole rack of it. The exact same product. The difference? "Scuba Goop" costs $5.95. "Scribbles 3D Paint" costs $1.19.

Live and learn. Put "Scuba" on anything [COLOR=#009900 !important]and watch[/COLOR] the price multiply.

Bill"

cool, i'ts all over on amazon starting at 6.54 for a 6-pack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom