painting my aluminium boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subcookie

Reaction score
I am getting ready to paint my aluminium boat. Anyone get sugest what type of primer and paint I should use for the botton and top paint. I want to do a good job so it will last for a while.

thank

I would go to the www.hulltruth.com and ask around there.

I have painted aluminum aircraft but never a boat. Most boats are made from I figure a 3000 or 6000 series aluminum. I would acid etch, alodine and then spray with an epoxy primer. I would then use DuPont Imron, a two part, isocyante gasing paint that is exceedingly durable and requires a forced air ventilation system to spray in order to prevent isocynate poisoning. Recall, Union Carbide, India etc.

N

Nemrod:

I have painted aluminum aircraft but never a boat. Most boats are made from I figure a 3000 or 6000 series aluminum. I would acid etch, alodine and then spray with an epoxy primer. I would then use DuPont Imron, a two part, isocyante gasing paint that is exceedingly durable and requires a forced air ventilation system to spray in order to prevent isocynate poisoning. Recall, Union Carbide, India etc.

N

Yes. Bopal, the event that ultimately lead to the downfall of my former employer.

Nemrod had the right formula. Painting aluminum isn't as simple as just using a primer and then painting. Without the acid etch and alodine the paint will not stick.

You have an aluminum boat, it creates it's own protective oxide layer, so....

Why are you going to paint it?

Nemrod:

N

This is right on and in fact, I used this exact system on my brothers boat minus the alodine. Instead, I used a vinyl acid wash primer which, if recoated within 4 hours prevents the oxidation that you would use the alodine coating for. Another top coat option is Sherwin Williams Polane HS Plus. It's the same Isocynate Urethane system as Imron (except I'm a former SW guy so it's in my blood).

Yes, I like the Sherwin Williams one step etch and wash primer. I still would use a good epoxy primer like DuPont green VeriPrim or Dupont Corlar or PPG DP40 series.

He may want to paint it so that it does not look like a frying pan with a motor on it--lol.

N

Hey guy,

Do want to get idea about paint for your boat...Then I don't have idea about that but If you want to get some idea then try to checkout one site http://www.splashvision.com.
In splashvision lots of photos & videos are available so you can get idea ,If you get then reply me..

Thanks..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom