pages never stop "loading"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please expand on what you are saying.

Ads networks regularly run Javascript code on webpages that actually reference code/objects on the ad networks' servers (it's how they track user page views, clicks, etc.). And some of those servers don't perform for s***.

When you read a post on SB, you aren't just loading pages from scubaboard.com, behind the scenes your web browser may also be accessing: connect.facebook.net, pagead2.googlesyndication.com, s.skimresources.com, www.google-analytics.com, and/or *.cloudfront.net (to name a few just on this page).

What elan is saying is that, depending on the web browser you use, it's possible to block communications to/from those sites, or to not load the placeholders that the ad images, facebook/twitter widgets, etc. use to display the ads or links in your web browser.

OK, I kinda like to have the ads to keep me abreast of things, but if they have to go, how do I get rid of them? I use Firefox.

Please expand on what you are saying.

At a risk of being banned :)

My home router runs squid caching proxy with adzapper. It strips off all the garbage including adds facebook tweeter buttons and the likes. So SB loads very fast. Its probably not a solution for an average reader of SB but its just to prove the point that SB has nothing to do with slowdowns on facebook loading except the fact that it pushes the links that forces the browsers reading the garbage

Howard, I think you understand what the issue is, just not why it's an issue for us... For me, it's just plain annoying. My browser is currently satisfied that this page is fully loaded and to be honest, I see ZERO difference in the page compared to yesterday... but I don't have a loading circle in my tab bar, nor do I have a cursor with a loading circle next to it, both of which I find distracting.

If this is a going to just be a temporary intermittent problem, which for me it seems to be, I can deal, but is it temporary and intermittent for everybody else too?

Which browser are you using? Have you tried a different one?

Does it happen on THIS page? If the answer is NO, then it's definitely facebook, and I can't make it load faster. It is actually checking to see if anyone "liked" the pages. Facebook is slow.

I'm sorry that there isn't more I can do for you, but this isn't a scubaboard issue really. I can't or more accurately won't remove Facebook from the site, as it ultimately a plus for traffic to the site.

Since SB did the upgrade I’ve noticed various “glitches”. The 2 that comes to mind because they happen often are:
SB no longer saves my login or password.
When editing a post, more times than not after clicking save the page does not save and stays in the edit mode until I refresh the page. Then my edit is not saved. My work around has been to save my edited post, go back to edit mode, paste it in and then hit save, most times that works and the page is saved.
These are minor annoyances I can live with but I thought I’d add my .2.

Howard, I've decided this is a strictly intermittent problem... I'm having no issues right now with either this page or any other, however yesterday when I said I was having the problem again, this page (or thread at least) wasn't fully loading as far as Chrome was concerned either.

If it's just Facebook being temporarily slow for a few hours, I can deal with that.

Which browser are you using? Have you tried a different one?

Does it happen on THIS page? If the answer is NO, then it's definitely facebook, and I can't make it load faster. It is actually checking to see if anyone "liked" the pages. Facebook is slow.

I'm sorry that there isn't more I can do for you, but this isn't a scubaboard issue really. I can't or more accurately won't remove Facebook from the site, as it ultimately a plus for traffic to the site.

It just happened to me on this page although it did finish loading which hasn't happened on any other page. I'm just giving input here, as long as it doesn't interfer with my browsing I really don't care. So far it has not. Browser IE8

Since SB did the upgrade I’ve noticed various “glitches”. The 2 that comes to mind because they happen often are:
SB no longer saves my login or password.
When editing a post, more times than not after clicking save the page does not save and stays in the edit mode until I refresh the page. Then my edit is not saved. My work around has been to save my edited post, go back to edit mode, paste it in and then hit save, most times that works and the page is saved.
These are minor annoyances I can live with but I thought I’d add my .2.

The upgrade a year and a half ago? We'll probably do another one in the not too distant future. But with these issues... Here's some advice for the login stuff.

1) Completely delete all of your cookies with ScubaBoard.com in them. Clear your cache, and then when you log in. Make sure you check the "remember me" box.
b) Also, I believe that Tapatalk may interfere with some cookies and log-in "keep alive" status, but I can't actually confirm this. But if you use tapatalk, then that is also a possibility.
2) If you're using IE8. Then you're not using the latest browser version. If this is because you're using an older Windows version that doesn't support IE9, then I would strongly suggest firefox or chrome which can work on older versions of windows.

Howard, I've decided this is a strictly intermittent problem... I'm having no issues right now with either this page or any other, however yesterday when I said I was having the problem again, this page (or thread at least) wasn't fully loading as far as Chrome was concerned either.

If it's just Facebook being temporarily slow for a few hours, I can deal with that.

It could also be a google ad. Like most websites, we use advertising to pay for the site. Google ads are also 3rd party content, and sometimes use things from amazon, or some other website that you were maybe shopping on? This could also cause incomplete page loads, but shouldn't be anything more than an annoyance. Sorry.

It just happened to me on this page although it did finish loading which hasn't happened on any other page. I'm just giving input here, as long as it doesn't interfer with my browsing I really don't care. So far it has not. Browser IE8

If it did happen on this page, then it may not be only because of facebook. There is no facebook link on this page, because this page is private (you have to be logged in as a user to see site support). But as I was saying. It's definitely third party content.

Sorry about that.

Back
Top Bottom