Pads on shoulder straps? DIR or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree mostly with Lynne, but you really need to make sure you can still cut someone out of their harness (i.e. the pads should not have a possibility to shift to a position where a rescuer is likely to attempt to cut the webbing)

Cutting someone out can be the quickest way in a rescue and it would seem (to me) a poor choice to compromise that.

Since the pads would be between the D rings and the backplate, should they not stay in place?, and would it not be easier to cut them out somewhere along the torso, where the strap is not as tight to the body as on the shoulders?

Safe diving

Yes, at 1 time even G.I.III used shoulder pads. If they're good enough for "Trey" they should work for you. YMMV.

Attachments

• trey.jpg
    trey.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 178
Yes, at 1 time even G.I.III used shoulder pads. If they're good enough for "Trey" they should work for you. YMMV.

Looks like the guy behind him used some padding too ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Since the pads would be between the D rings and the backplate, should they not stay in place?, and would it not be easier to cut them out somewhere along the torso, where the strap is not as tight to the body as on the shoulders?

Safe diving

Very possibly depending on where they are placed and how they are attached etc. -- just something to consider if one was to use them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah, it's kind of funny. I've seen other pics with G.I. standing near larger people, having their picture taken together (the other person unaware :D). Can't find them on the net anymore though. Maybe it used to be one of his hobbies?

Hogarthian rigg is about a deep analisis on the way your equipment is gonna make your diving better and safer, but here what is safe for me is not for everyone.

DIR is not only about a deep analisis on a rigg, it will take you further on your skills, education, training, team concept, etc.. but it's about an universal understanding of the equipment configuration, so you have to have a powerfull reason to add any piece, make an analisis how is gonna impact your team and protocols, finally your team has to agree with it, in this I had never listen about shoulder straps.

I have never use a shoulder strap on my harness so I would like to ask if they make any real difference?, I can't see any failure point on this items. but the main point here is..
Does it really improve on any way your diving?? if for any reason they do, They will be ok,
If they don't take them off, useless pieces doesn't exist on hog and never in dir

Yeah, it's kind of funny. I've seen other pics with G.I. standing near larger people, having their picture taken together (the other person unaware :D). Can't find them on the net anymore though. Maybe it used to be one of his hobbies?

There are a few on Jeff's old site Who Dat? but since it hasn't been updated in about a decade not all the pictures work and you may have to click on them to access them. The Doing it Wrong page is a classic too.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

..and a 12' long hose?

There are a few on Jeff's old site Who Dat? but since it hasn't been updated in about a decade not all the pictures work and you may have to click on them to access them. The Doing it Wrong page is a classic too.

Those are the photo's. Thanks for the link. I thought they were gone forever :D.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom