PADI Wreck Diver Course - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How different are Cave and Wreck diving?

In addition to Lynne and Jim's comments..... there are some huge differences.

Cavern and wreck dives essentially use the same motor skills - but the environment is vastly different.

Some of the key differences are:

1. You often have to enter a wreck through a restriction (e.g. a window) that necessitates skills that you may not have covered on your cavern course - air sharing through a restriction. Unfortunately, air sharing in the overhead environment is explicltly excluded from the PADI Wreck course - it's that reason alone that I wrote our Advanced Wreck course.

2. Whilst penetration distances may be shorter, total distance to the surface is often greater.... in the sense that many caverns are relatively shallow or even have entrances that occur at the surface. Air sharing is relatively straightforward, where as wrecks require to first get out of the wreck (see above) and the potentially manage an OOG ascent from 30m+.

3. Wrecks are, in their own way, more fragile than caves. For example, the first trip I did to the Mikhail Lermontov I used a single finger to steady myself - I pushed it right through the (rusted) steel plate. They are also fragile in the sense of artefact removal - something that cave divers would never dream of doing, yet our martime archealogical heritage is regularly plundered by people with china fever.

4. Variability is huge - as beams rusted and rooms collapse, the change from dive to dive can be quite pronounced.

5. You don't always know where the entrance is on a wreck - so navigation and identification of suitable penetration points is a key skill.

My list does go on for several pages - but I won't bore you with the details. I think it's fair to say that you'd not get a tenth of the skills/knowledge you need from a bog-standard PADI Wreck Diver course. The fact that air sharing in the overhead is precluded is the one reason that I would suggest not doing it but looking for alternatives.

I think it would be better appointed if they called it something like INTRO to Wreck diving IMHO

I agree 100%. Even with a great instructor, it takes far more than 4 dives to teach the skills needed for safe wreck penetration. The best taught PADI Wreck Course could only ever be an 'intro' to that area of diving.

With a bad instructor, the course is worthless. I've met many instructors carrying wreck teaching certifications that have never even done a wreck penetration. :shocked2:

IMHO, wreck penetration really blurs the recreational/technical boundary. It deserves more respect and legislation that it gets. Agencies like PADI are really strict about limitations with cave and cavern diving, but don't provide any real guidance in regards to wrecks.

A PADI Cavern instructor has to be a fully qualified Cave Instructor, from a recognized cave agency. A PADI Wreck instructor, just needs to have logged 8 wreck dives (no requirment for penetration) and paid for the teaching C-Card. :shakehead:

Did the Padi Wreck course here in New York / New Jersey. Instructor was what made the course worth while. All 4 students knew each other well and had over 100 dives each with good control and buoyancy. We were unlucky and caught a weekend with 3 foot visibility. With 4 students on a line it was challenging enough outside the wreck and we did not penetrate. I actually got entangled on some fishing gut and my buddy cut me loose. The course became more about additional safety considerations here on the East Coast than about wrecks per se.

I was in Hawaii last month (on a small wreck) and probably would not do the course there. The conditions are way easier than you will experience on many wrecks (certainly here on the east coast) and I am not sure you will get the full benefit from the experience.

I would rate my experience of the course;
Fun with friends: 9/10
Knowledge gained 5/10 (Instructor was a tech diver and worked through all the tech kit with us in detail as well.)
Dive skills gained 3/10 (All 4 students already had good buoyancy, trim and frog kick prior to doing the course. Penetration line work was new, but you don't need 4 dives to learn the basics)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom