PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blu Diver, NAUI started in 1960, not 1954.

Well to get technical: NAUI was founded by Albert Tillman and Neal Hess in 1959. In August 1960, NAUI's first Instructor Certification Course was held at the Houston’s Shamrock Hilton Hotel with 72 candidates.
:D

1959 would be the correct year not 1954.

"NAUI Worldwide is the world's most respected, largest non-profit diver training organization in the world. Established in 1959 as a membership association and organized solely to support and promote Dive Safety Through Education, NAUI continues as the recognized leader in innovative education" NAUI Worldwide Dive Safety Through Education

True, but until they had instructors and were issuing certifications, they weren't really an agency. I'll stick with 1960.

Thank you all this has been really helpful. I am looking for training schools that I can go to and I've come across 2 I am trying to decide on. I was wondering if anyone has heard of them and has further information. 1. is go pro utila and it certs for PADI. 2. is Dive Path and it certs for NAUI, PDIC, HSA ,SDI/TDI. I did a PADI dive on a cruise once so of course that's all I know, this is a complete career and lifestyle change that I'm making and would appreciate advice greatly. The Dive Path seems really great 1 on 1 sort of local hands on program and the Utila seems like well known but because of big corporate if you get my drift. I want to be able to work anywhere. Can I be certified in PADI AND the others? Will resorts etc not hire me if I'm not PADI certified and so on. Advice? Thanks everyone :D

oh and also expense wise. utila says it's more expensive because it's better yadda yadda and it's got a recommendation. but dive path the guy's been diving forever and seems to have great creds plus the cost is great and inclusive, you stay on a boat, small personalized classes etc. the utila only pays for 2 weeks at their hotel and seems like just an effort to get more money, the classes seem larger.

You would also need to consider where you would be looking to teach (this isn't just for the OP, but a comment in general)

PADI, BSAC & SAA are well represented in the UK, whereas NAUI, SEI, SSI etc are not

I see what you are saying. Although I would like to one day dive in the U.K. area I wouldn't consider teaching there anymore than I would here in New England. Places I was considering were the Mediterranean, the Carribbean, New Zealand, the Red Sea, Qatar etc.
Also the question remains open. Does anyone have anymore information on what schools are the best. I'm going between DiveUtila which is Padi but the site is very confusing and says so many different things. Or a liveaboard at Dive Path with NAUI, SSI etc certs run by Dr. Jami Epstein. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about him good or bad?

Back
Top Bottom