PADI vs CMAS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

countermeasure

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm considering doing my OWD in the next months and wanted to know if it matters where I get my certification. I did that "Discover Scuba Diving" course on my holiday trip at a PADI divecenter in Portugal and got immediately hooked by the experience and by the awesome instructor. But since I live in Germany, I
sadly can't get my cert there. The closest diveschool to where I live is owned by CMAS. Does this make any difference if I want to dive somewhere else? They also happen to own one of the best diving lakes in the area (13m deep, filled with carps and catfish), so that might be an additional perk.

So what would you suggest?

Greetings

In terms of diving elsewhere in the world, there won't be a difference between CMAS and PADI. At the beginning levels there is a LOT of benefit to going local in terms of support etc.

Later on, as your dive career and knowledge progress, there may be benefits to going with another agency depending on your final goals. Right now, you don't know what you don't know so I would say go with the local shop for open water (or 1 star) and then do some more research before engaging on the next levels.

Just to add to the above...

Throughout the world, there are dive resorts that will take you to the local diving. Most of them are affiliated with one agency or another. All of them will want to see a certification card, but it does not matter what agency they themselves are affiliated with--they will accept a certification card from any legitimate agency.

I'd agree: Go with the convenience of the local shop. Nobody will question your c-card.

If you can, try to get an assessment on the instructor who will teach you. Are they well-regarded by unbiased observers?

Beyond that, I'm one that thinks you get out of a course what you put into it. If possible, put in more than the minimum skill practice required, and study the books or other learning resources provided.

I doubt Cmas is a shop, that way Padi and Cmas are different. Normally you only pay a yearly fee to join a Cmas club, it covers the insurance etc. The instructors don’t get payed to dive.
But all dive shops on a holiday Will accept the card, no need to worry about that.

CMAS is not an agency and doesn't own shops. There are clubs organized in the VDST that issue CMAS cards. There are agencies such as i.a.c., SUB, VDTL, VIT, ... that issue CMAS cards. So you may take a SUB class in a shop and get a CMAS SUB card. @countermeasure: from what agency does your local shop offer classes?

Just to be clear, no agencies really own shops. Shops will contract with agencies for services, but the agencies don't own the shops. The individual who owns GUE does also own a couple shops, and the person who owned SSI (not sure of the current arrangement with Head) owns several shops, but that is not the same as the agency owning the shops.

If you can, try to get an assessment on the instructor who will teach you. Are they well-regarded by unbiased observers?

I made a test about that. I already got the answer: "What for?" ... I was out the dive shop 3 min later

Hey,
I'm considering doing my OWD in the next months and wanted to know if it matters where I get my certification. I did that "Discover Scuba Diving" course on my holiday trip at a PADI divecenter in Portugal and got immediately hooked by the experience and by the awesome instructor. But since I live in Germany, I
sadly can't get my cert there. The closest diveschool to where I live is owned by CMAS. Does this make any difference if I want to dive somewhere else? They also happen to own one of the best diving lakes in the area (13m deep, filled with carps and catfish), so that might be an additional perk.

So what would you suggest?

Greetings
Hi,

Welcome to the fantastic underwater world.

The only cards most dive operators are interested in are VISA/MASTERCARD/AMEX.

Think where you intend to dive. If in Germany than learn there. If on holiday in warm waters then dedicate your next holiday to learning. As for agency either PADI or CMAS will be accepted most places.

Kind regards

Back
Top Bottom