PADI v Diverlink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having gone thru the debacle when the aforementioned lawsuit was first publicly discussed on this board it is sad to see the same old arguments flaring up again.

In my opinion, this thread should be pulled and no more postings allowed to it. Those who want to discuss it or pass along their remarks to Walter do it by PMs.

BTW, I am PADI certified. I had a great instructor who I felt went further than the course standards required. I feel I have improved on my skills since then because I went out and kept diving to improve on them. It is the diver who progresses or regresses in skills due to lack of experience. If you become certified (from any agency) and only dive once a year in a warm water climate chances are your skills will suffer, not so much because of who issued you your C card.

To the Mods I simply ask that this thread be removed so we don't have to go thru this all over again.

Walter, glad to see this is finally over. Congrats.

Web Monkey:
...I get to dive with a few dozen PADI victims every winter while on vacation. Most will never dive again, because of physical or emotional damage.

Terry

It can't be that traumatic diving with you! :wink:

socaldiver:
In my opinion, this thread should be pulled and no more postings allowed to it. Those who want to discuss it or pass along their remarks to Walter do it by PMs.
To the Mods I simply ask that this thread be removed so we don't have to go thru this all over again.
You dont have to go through all this again, simply dont view the thread...

Otter:

Naaa. I'm easy.

However, I do tend to annoy my "Boat Buddy" by insisting that they return to the boat before their SPG says 0. I don't want to have to use up my last 1500 Lbs sharing air :cool:

Terry

Otter:

I guess that was missing some context. :cool:

My wife and I usually go on a cruise during the winter.

On Saturday afternoon, they load the boat and it leaves Miami full of non-divers.

Tuesday morning, it docks at one of the Carribean islands and unloads everybody, including about a dozen brand-new never-been-in-open-water fully-certified divers.

I have no idea how this is accomplished. My best guess is that PADI has discovered how to bend time and space, since there's no other way to properly train and certify divers in 2 1/2 days.

Anyway. the Tuesday and Wednesday boat dives are interesting, to say the least.

Terry

RIDIVER501:
no he is a PADI troll. a simple kudo thread to a dive shop that worked hard to earn A 5 star IDC rating. was immediately trolled by him and the thread ended up being shut down due to his and a few others hi-jacking and negative attitudes. I am not looking for kinder gentler warmer fuzzy. I am saying his negative attitude towards PADI casts doubt on the validity of HIS assessment and calls his objectivity into question. despite the fact that he tries to claim to be unbiased when he has clearly on this board shown that he is not by all his PADI bashing.

I remember that thread and if I remember correctly I posted most, if not all, of the actual requirements of a 5 star store and that was labeled negative. I know I've posted the requirements on other threads if it wasn't that one.

It's too bad the thread was pulled because I feel there was valid and useful information in it. Far too many pweople think that a 5 star rating is somehow a measure of quality. In fact, aside from the single requirement that there be no QA actions in a given period, it simply is not a measure of quality

Just this morning I responded to some one in a thread where they expressed surprise that PADI 5 star oporations were taking people to the blue hole without requireing advanced certification due to the depth. I again attempted to streighten out their false impressions of what PADI 5 star means. Hotels and restaurants are rated by a star rating system by critics who evaluate their services. People get the impression that the PADI 5 star is the same sort of thing and that couldn't be further from the truth although it is an understandable mistake. Do you think it's meant to convey that false, though natural, impression? I do.

I attempted to do the same thing in the thread you're refering to. If we're going to publically pump up a shop for agreeing to be a 5 star PDI store, lets tell that public what the rating actually means.

Can you point me to the requirements, Mike?

socaldiver:

The original chat on the PADI's lawsuit attracted many of us to this site. PADI is a legitimate debate as an influential force in the dive industry.

Just as many in the industry and on this board advertise their affiliation with PADI, the consuming dive community is entitled to know what that means.

Frankly, PADI would be a good subject for a business school study of how to use a franchise system to control risk and minimize becoming a deep pocket target while developing a tiered product line to attract repeat business. The sales policy of emphasizing fun over the risk of the "d" word is another fascinating twist.

None of this goes to the broader issue of whether that business model makes sense for novices to this sport. This suit helped keep alive the debate about whether it makes sense to spread different necessary skills over several 'certifications', or if it goes too far in minimizing risk to promote fun.

And taking this model further with the softer new "resort diver" and so-called "scuba diver" certifications raises this debate to a new level. Imagine a "resort" pilot's license supervised at the level that we've seen watching others on 'resort' dives..

As a business model PADI may be out ahead of the other agencies, but it is a legitimate matter of discussion here and elsewhere whether this makes sense from the perspective of dive safety. Or whether patronizing PADI the interest of those of us consumers of dive industry goods and services.

DivePartner1:
The original chat on the PADI's lawsuit attracted many of us to this site. PADI is a legitimate debate as an influential force in the dive industry.

Just as many in the industry and on this board advertise their affiliation with PADI, the consuming dive community is entitled to know what that means.

Frankly, PADI would be a good subject for a business school study of how to use a franchise system to control risk and minimize becoming a deep pocket target while developing a tiered product line to attract repeat business. The sales policy of emphasizing fun over the risk of the "d" word is another fascinating twist.

None of this goes to the broader issue of whether that business model makes sense for novices to this sport. This suit helped keep alive the debate about whether it makes sense to spread different necessary skills over several 'certifications', or if it goes too far in minimizing risk to promote fun.

And taking this model further with the softer new "resort diver" and so-called "scuba diver" certifications raises this debate to a new level. Imagine a "resort" pilot's license supervised at the level that we've seen watching others on 'resort' dives..

As a business model PADI may be out ahead of the other agencies, but it is a legitimate matter of discussion here and elsewhere whether this makes sense from the perspective of dive safety. Or whether patronizing PADI the interest of those of us consumers of dive industry goods and services.

What type of law do you practice?

Back
Top Bottom