PADI SideMount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took a look at the PADI site and was a little shocked by the low requirements to start sidemount DSAT training.

Be a PADI Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another organization)
Have a minimum of 10 logged dives
Be at least 18 years old
Have a medical statement signed by a physician

I took a look at the PADI site and was a little shocked by the low requirements to start sidemount DSAT training.
Can you give me the link please?
With what do you compare?
This i know is that if you want to become Tec Rec sidemount diver you must first be certified as Technical/Trimix diver.

Last edited by a moderator:
My purpose was just to inform :)

Can you give me the link please?
With what do you compare?
This i know is that if you want to become Tec Rec sidemount diver you must first be certified as Technical/Trimix diver.

DSAT Sidemount Technical Courses PADI and DSAT Sidemount Scuba Diving Training Course Director Steve Martin

DSAT Sidemount TecRec Diving Courses

"Like to do all your DSAT Tec Course in Sidemount" Back to Courses

By now I am sure you will have read my page why sidemount if not please read this now, then continue reading through this page.

What do I need to do..?
Just request that you would like to do your technical training wearing sidemount rather than backmount. This is possible as I am one of the very few DSAT instructors who is also a sidemount instructor; enabling me train you in sidemount skills rather then backmount.

What courses and what do they allow me to do..?
Tec 40 -The entry point into the technical range, it provides a transition from recreational to tech. Although the use of full tech gear (doubles and wings) is preferred, it does allow modified use of recreational gear in some situations, provided the diver has two separate regulators, with one of the first stages fitted with a long hose. The intended working limit for a diver of this grade is 40 metres/130 feet with up to 10 minutes of non-accelerated decompression while breathing up to EANx50.

Tec 45 -The diver now must wear the full ‘standardised’ tech rig, including wings and doubles, plus an additional deco cylinder. (Note that side mounted cylinders are an acceptable alternative to back mounted doubles throughout the TecRec range). The course will allow the diver to go to 45 metres/145 feet and make accelerated decompression dives using any mix of EANx or oxygen.

Tec 50 - At the end of this course the diver will have the same set of skills and knowledge as the present Tec Deep Diver. As such it represents a high level of competency for a technical diver. Although the option exists to make the last dive of the course using trimix, it is intended as an air/nitrox rating and by the end the diver can dive to a maximum of 50 metres/165 feet and make extended, accelerated decompression dives.

Tec Trimix 65 - This course opens up the advantages of trimix to the diver, and divers are qualified to make multi-stop decompression dives that employ EANx and oxygen for accelerated decompression, and any trimix with an oxygen content of 18% or more. They can dive to a maximum depth of 65 metres/210 feet.

Tec Trimix - This level is essentially the same as the existing course of this name. Therefore there is no numbered suffix after the course title — there are no limits are placed on how deep the diver can go after training, providing they build their experience gradually.

I also offer all levels of instructor courses within the DSAT range; Tec Instructor, Tec Deep Instructor and Tec Trimix Instructor (all can me made in sidemount configuration)

What do I need to start and what's the costs..?
Be a PADI Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another organization)
Have a minimum of 10 logged dives
Be at least 18 years old
Have a medical statement signed by a physician

I received a PM from Steve M this morning. The pre-req's on his site were incorrect. That's good news. His site has been updated with the correct pre-req's.

18 years or older
Medically fit for tec diving (physician’s signature required)
Willing to accept the added risks that tec diving presents
An experienced diver with at least 100 logged dives
Certified as a PADI Enriched Air Diver and PADI Deep Diver or equivalent (equivalencies vary please contact me for more information)

The PADI course, training materials are supposed to be coming out this quarter. The Tec Sidemount is out already

There's actually two PADI sidemount (non-tech) courses - the 'distinctive' that was written by Jeff and the new 'standardized' one.

I asked the same question to PADI recently... and they suggested I buy the 'outline' if I want to see what the new course requirements/skills/standards are. Ha ha.. Fook you very much Mr PADI... nice try! As you might guess.. I'm holding out from a decision at the moment... pending seeing the new course outline and deciding if it's better or worse than Jeff's or a distinctive I'd author.

PADI also have a 'tec' sidemount course. From what I can gather, that just consists of putting a long-hose on the rig and attaching a stage. Again, I want to see the actual outline before deciding whether it's something that's necessary to teach. I'd be using long hose for rec sidemount anyway (we use sidemount to penetrate yah?). And if a technical qualified diver couldn't cope with adding a stage to the rig... then they shouldn't be a technically qualified diver in the first place.

Again, from what I can gather, the rec sidemount (standardized) is just to teach a new equipment configuration for open water diving. No special consideration for penetration/overhead environment use. That means no long hose, no pivoting cylinders ahead etc etc. The basis being that sidemount will appeal to recreational divers for 'ease of use', reduced physical demands, convenience, travel etc. I've heard rumors that it will also include single cylinder sidemounting.

Without wanting to sound cynical... to me it sounds like they've taken Jeff's course and significantly dumbed it down to create a 'rec' course that can be sold to the masses. Then they've taken all the extra stuff, added a stage bottle... and called it 'tec'. Sounds like a very simple thing has been made very complicated.

Personally, I'd just want to teach a course that instructed how to use the kit... the divers' other skills, experience and training would then determine what application they used that kit for.

Dive-aholic:4999091:
I was wondering if PADI has a training manual and video to go with their sidemount specialty course??:idk:

I have looked on PADI's website but can't seem to find information about it.:idk:

Thanks,

Ron

PADI does not have a manual or video. However, IANTD does have a manual.

A good sidemount course can help someone new to it fast forward through the first 3-4 dozen dives of tweaking in just 2 days. I just taught an IANTD sidemount course this weekend and had my student trimmed out and doing valve drills, bottle drills, and muscle memory drills all weekend. He was sore by Sunday afternoon but he was looking like someone who has done several dozen dives in sidemount, not someone show has only done 4 dives. If you have the time try it yourself. If you would rather dive and skip through the major learning curve, take a course from a good instructor.

I agree about having a quality instructor. The problem is either my standards are too high or most instructors standards are not high enough. Rob if your ever in Texas let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom