PADI Scuba Diver v. Open Water Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you would like to dive. I think do the quick chick out diving coerce. Padi has on that I think takes 3 hrs. Dive with some DMs and have fun.
Then grow with it. ow, aow ean. On your when time and on you time.

I have to agree with all those who say "Avoid the PADI SCUBA diver" rating. I really doubt that many divers would truly have the skill down with only a few dives. Also, I'm not sure how readily accepted it is, since no other agency offers an equivalent class (to the best of my knowledge). Finally, from what I've seen the cost won't be too far off from what you would have to pay for a full OPen Water cert. While I was taking my OW class, I asked my instructor about the "Scuba diver" cert since, to me, it didnt seem worth it. He told me that he has never had anyone try to do just the Scuba Diver cert.

If your serious about diving, you should enjoy it, what would you really gain by doing similar pool and classroom work, and just missing 2 checkout dives?

I'm certainly a relatively junior diver, so some of the instructors around could have more info, but to me the scuba diver cert is pretty much irrelevant.

The PADI SCUBA Diver has its place, but if you are in Thailand for 8 days, you would have enough time to do a 3-day course and get Open Water certified. If you buy the book now, you can read most of it on the flight over. PADI is common in Thailand so then just go to a PADI dive center, let them know you have completed the reading and Knowledge Reveiws (assuming you did) and are ready to take the quizzes and potentially the final. You can then go over missed questions and then possibly hit the pool. You cannot dive for approx 24 hours anyway once you land so you will have time to finish any reading you did not finish on the flight. You can probably get certified in a leisurely 3 days or crash course it in 2 days - confined lessons in the morning, open water dives in the afternoon.

The PADI courses call for confined water, NOT necessarily pool sessions. In the States it typically is a pool, but Confined water is any pool-like conditions. In Thailand, they may not bring you to a pool, but instead use a little bay or cove that has no currents or minimal currents (I just want to make sure you know this so you do not freak if they say they go straight to the ocean). I earned my OW cert in the Philippines in 1996 and had my confined water skills done in the open water but in a little bay that had almost no current. Then I did the open water dives more distant from land. The confined water dives will be in 15-30 feet of water.

I do not know you, but with 8 days of a vacation, you SHOULD EASILY be able to attain OW and not drastically impact the rest of your vacation. Doing the referral method would have been best, but if you leave in a few days, that just won't happen. I would get the book though and start reading...

I'm with the ones who say to do the Discover Scuba course while you're in Thailand then do your OW course after your vacation.

If I were going to Thailand I would want to see the place. Not spend my time hunched over books, filling out knowledge reviews, watching DVD's and doing the pool work. JMO.

rawls:
The 40 foot maximum depth is not a PADI Standard. It is "recommended" that guided dives do not exceed this depth, but it is not a standard requirement for the Scuba Diver certification. Junior O/W divers do have the 40 foot max as a PADI Standard requirement.
It doesn't really matter, since divers with non-professional PADI certifications are under no obligation to follow PADI standards.

ekewaka:
It doesn't really matter, since divers with non-professional PADI certifications are under no obligation to follow PADI standards.
But Scuba Divers have to dive with DMs or Instructors, and these guys have to stick to the standards/recommendations.
scratchmyback:
If I were going to Thailand I would want to see the place. Not spend my time hunched over books, filling out knowledge reviews, watching DVD's and doing the pool work.
You could do all the academic work online before travel - PADI e-learning. This way you should be able do a full OW course in three days. The Scuba Diver course is fine. I've taught it many times and is good for people with time restraints. You get a cert card, and can then easily upgrade on your next holiday.

scubapatton:
You cannot dive for approx 24 hours anyway once you land so you will have time to finish any reading you did not finish on the flight. You can probably get certified in a leisurely 3 days or crash course it in 2 days - confined lessons in the morning, open water dives in the afternoon.

I would be interested in your source for the no diving for 24 hours after landing rule, could you please tell who's rule that is?

Unless you are a 100' freedive photog or spearo with monster wave tow surfing proficiency and you find a great instructor willing to spend 10-12 hours with you each day, a 2 day crash OW course will not give you much more than Scuba Diver skills and even with the above requirements met, I would question the professionalism of any instructor/shop that would even consider it.

I am "old" and I did the OW in 4 days while in Curacao. It is not easy but if you want it you can do it. You can pour over books on the beach or sippin soda at the pool bar... sure beats doing it after work... IMHO The hardest part is durng those 4 days is your brain is working through a lot of sensations and situations it is not familiar with. Had some vivid dreams. The key is if you are comfortable in the water before you do the "confined" (for us behind a breakwater) you will have a much easier time.

BTW As far as I know flying then divin is ok.... the other way around can be bad...

The only good rationale for doing the Scuba Diver course is that you can do it in two days. If you're pressed for time, are willing to pay more in the long run, and want to get basically halfway through the PADI curriculum toward OW, and you know you want to be a diver, then it's a reasonable option. Otherwise, Discover Scuba is the way to go.

My only caution with Scuba Diver cert would be that when you get home you may have to search a little for a school that will credit you for doing the first three chapters, confined water dives, and two OW dives.

I would also like to know where the "wait 24 hours after arrival" idea came from.

halemano:
I would be interested in your source for the no diving for 24 hours after landing rule, could you please tell who's rule that is?

Unless you are a 100' freedive photog or spearo with monster wave tow surfing proficiency and you find a great instructor willing to spend 10-12 hours with you each day, a 2 day crash OW course will not give you much more than Scuba Diver skills and even with the above requirements met, I would question the professionalism of any instructor/shop that would even consider it.
I meant to write SHOULD not.... I usually avoid diving the same day I fly, but MAY consider it the next. I do usually sit out a day - if nothing else, my body could use some acclimating to the time zone, weather, etc.

By mentioning that you COULD get the course in 2 days, again, it would depend on getting all the books/KRs done in advance of showing up at the door. To say you cannot do it is a bit presumptious in my opinion. I was able to complete my OW cert in 3 days without doing any reading beforehand. That did impede on my vacation though since it was pretty much read all night and morning, do reviews mid-morning and C-W and O-W sessions in the afternoon. Shops will work with you and if you need more time to develop certain skills, then just ask the instructor.

Just because you get OW certified (from any agency) does not mean you are ready to hit the ground running without professional assistance, but it would allow you to feel comfortable at open-water depths without feeling the need to rely on professional assistance.

Each person is unique in how they handle minor issues. Some people will take 50+ dives to feel comfortable with buoyancy, issue resolution, etc. Others may be there much sooner or much longer. Since the initial poster asked for opinions, I threw mine out.

As for the questioning of professionalism, PADI standards call for the process to be handled in certain ways, but the only limiting factors are time, the correct procedure, the ability of the student and the instructor and the fact that no more than 3 training dives can be completed in a day. It truly is possible to get the OW class done in 2 days IF you do some pre-work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom