PADI rescue in a back plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jared w

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was thinking of taking this course. Will PADI agencies allow me to do it in my BP&W or will I need to take a non PADI course?

I did my PADI Rescue class in a BP/W with out any issues.

I know several people that have taken it in their BP/W rigs through PADI and it wasn't a problem for them. I guess there is always some instructor out there that may tell you otherwise because he/she doesn't like it but all training should be done in the gear you use/wear so it shouldn't be an issue.

Cool, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a procedural issue that shops had to adhere to.

My wife and son-in-law both took PADI Rescue in BP/Ws

Richard

There is no prohibition on using a BPW in Rescue and many people do it. That said, it's worth considering loosening the harness a little bit for the class. People need to be able to get you out of the rig quickly and easily. You don't want a practice rescue to turn into a real one after somebody grabs their knife and starts cutting you out of your gear... :wink:

I would never allow a student to slice someone out of their BP/W in a training courese with a knife, much too dangerous.

Shears on the other hand would be much safer.

There is no prohibition on using a BPW in Rescue and many people do it. That said, it's worth considering loosening the harness a little bit for the class. People need to be able to get you out of the rig quickly and easily. You don't want a practice rescue to turn into a real one after somebody grabs their knife and starts cutting you out of your gear... :wink:

Thanks for the tip, I don't want to re-rig the hogarthian if I don't have to.

I did my Rescue class in a BP/W, but be aware that, if the instructors teaching it aren't familiar with your gear, they won't have a clue how to optimize procedures with it. When I took Rescue, I had to call a friend who was a NAUI instructor every night with the questions that had come up in the day's diving, that my instructors couldn't answer.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/126817-insights-rescue-bp-w-users.html

I did my Rescue class in a BP/W, but be aware that, if the instructors teaching it aren't familiar with your gear, they won't have a clue how to optimize procedures with it. When I took Rescue, I had to call a friend who was a NAUI instructor every night with the questions that had come up in the day's diving, that my instructors couldn't answer.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/126817-insights-rescue-bp-w-users.html

Thanks, I appreciate the link. I've bookmarked it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom