PADI Photography Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
I do concur with what Alcina has to say, but, in my opinion, finding a PADI instructor in the general population of instructors that is an accomplished underwater photographer will not be the easiest of matters . . . .

the K

I was a PADI UW photography specialty instructor. I baught a camera and got some really nice pictures my first time out. If you're a PADI instructor and you carry a camera for 20 dives, you get to be an UW photography instructor.

I agree a good teacher should be a big help initially over figuring it all out yourself or reading about it. But lots of good photo classes have nothing to do with any official specialty course so don't look for that specifically. Not that it hurts anything if you also happen to get a UW photo card but it doesn't do anything for you practically, unlike say a Nitrox card.

You really want someone who's serious about UW photography and is good at teaching it, rather than a dive instructor who just happens to do enough photography to offer the specialty - especially if you're already into photography you may be starting from a higher level in some areas. There are a variety of photo classes offered in different locations if you travel, photo oriented trips, you might find classes offered at a dive show, you might just find a local mentor.

My husband is also an avid land photographer and did do the PADI specialty early on, but it happened to be with a guy who was primarily a professional UW photographer and it was just him (and me tagging along on the dives, discovering early on what it was like to be a photographer's buddy. :coffee: ) So he really lucked out with it, but it could as easily been a junk class.

I concur. I recently took the PADI u/w photo course, and was a little let down. My instructor was actually quite a good u/w photographer, but I came away from the class a little let down nonetheless... my time spent reading photo-related threads here on ScubaBoard brought me nearly as much instruction as the class. I'm sure I picked up little tips and tidbits here and there, but not quite enough justify the price tag. Fortunately the course was a gift, so it wasn't a big deal. :) And hey, if nothing else, I got a couple more dives in. :thumb:

yeah... I tend to agree that its not the PADI, PDIC, NAUI, CMAS or watever name that matters... A good instructor is very helpful thing, much better than a acronym on a plastic card.

CompuDude:
I concur. I recently took the PADI u/w photo course, and was a little let down. My instructor was actually quite a good u/w photographer, but I came away from the class a little let down nonetheless...

Not to hijack, but did you let your instructor know? If not, please do so as he/she may have thought he/she was meeting your needs and not realising that you needed more or different. It won't necessarily help you now (though you'd be surprised, you might get some more instruction/help) but it could very well help the next person who takes the course as the instructor will have more basis for tailoring the course.

I know I always ask for feedback during and after my courses - it's really helpful to create the best personal course possible.

this forum, digitaldiver.net and wetpixel are all free and last a lot longer than a PADI speciality dive or two. ask questions, look at others pictures for what you do or don't like and practise above and below water. There now since i've saved you all that money how about you put it in my paypal account to pay for my new macro lens?

When I started I had an instrucotr, now I am an instructor.
I think that there is no better thing as a hands-on experience, teaching and diving with people is the best way to make them learn about UWPhoto.
Even guys who have been diving with a camera and/or made a basic UWPhoto course benefit from doing so.
Reading and talking about photo is nice, studying is nice... but when I guide one student underwater shooting, I see a much more faster improvement.

Another point of view is always a good thing. Somethings will work for some but not for others. When I took my first UW Photo class I was still very new to diving. If nothing else it helped me with my buoyancy.

alcina:
Not to hijack, but did you let your instructor know? If not, please do so as he/she may have thought he/she was meeting your needs and not realising that you needed more or different. It won't necessarily help you now (though you'd be surprised, you might get some more instruction/help) but it could very well help the next person who takes the course as the instructor will have more basis for tailoring the course.

I know I always ask for feedback during and after my courses - it's really helpful to create the best personal course possible.
The biggest thing I wanted to learn, frankly, was more about manual modes, i.e. AppPri and ShuttPri modes. I picked up a number of good tips, and learned some more about composition (probably nothing I couldn't have learned from some of the better books), but she really didn't go into the info that I was specifically looking for. I'll have a chat with her next time I go by the store. (Can't come down too hard on her, as we are very friendly, and I don't care enough to risk the friendship.)

comp - I think she would really appreciate knowing your thoughts etc as it should help her teach a better class. And as you are friendly, she might say "hey, let's go have a cuppa and go over some of that next time we dive together" or something. Great that you did pick up some things in the course...my theory is that I always pick up something from every source: good, bad or indifferent - there's so much to learn!

Yours is a good lesson for others looking to do a course - let the instructor know what you want as specifically as possible. If you aren't sure, tell her/him that, too. Don't be afraid or too shy to derail the course in the middle to ask for more, less or different information. The beauty of a course such as photography is that there are infinite ways to teach it and infinite permutations of the content (once you get past the essential basics) that should be tailored to fit your needs and goals.

One of the hardest things for me as an instructor is not getting informative or interactive feedback from a student - so I have to assume he/she is getting what they want/need. Thankfully I mostly teach specialties now so the students usually are very actively interested and the courses are excellent!

Back
Top Bottom