PADI Photography Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Penguinboy

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a fairly amateur diver so far and not yet bothering with getting all the high-tech camera gear when I still need to focus on basics, but I wanted to know - is the PADI Photography / Videography course(s) worth the money and effort? I don't quite know what they teach you, but being quite a keen photographer on land I'd love to be competant with it below the surface :D

Apologies for the dumb / misplaced question in advance!

Alltogether now ... in chorus ... and harmony:

"It all depends on the Instructor."

Really, with an Instructor who knows what's what, any photo/video course can be great, with or without the imprateur of a dive agency; and having an agency name on it is no assurance that it's worth anything

Penguin,

I you understand the basics of composition, contrast, color . . . then, in my opinion, having a degree in fine arts/painting and drawing the course is of no consequence.

The challenges one must meet as an underwater photographer deal with filtration due to the loss of different colors at different depths . . . most of which, if using digital equipment, can be managed post photo.

Just my opinion. . .

the K

There are a lot of things to learn with underwater photography and doing so under the guidance of a good instructor can dramatically decrease the learning curve. It can also show you things that you might not discover on your own!

When choosing a course talk to the instructor that will be teaching it. Ask to see her/his work. Get a feel for if it will be the minimum to get the card (if you go with an agency) or if the course is tailored to meet your needs and your goals. Choose the instructor as the materials are pretty standard - still beneficial on many points, but anyone can read a book or watch a video. It's the specific information you will get from a good instructor that is invaluable.

Lay your hands on Jim Church's Essential Guide to Composition - imho it's a must have and a book you will go back to time and time again.

I do concur with what Alcina has to say, but, in my opinion, finding a PADI instructor in the general population of instructors that is an accomplished underwater photographer will not be the easiest of matters . . . .

the K

I agree with the K. It might be very difficult to find a good instructor that knows photography. I have found that a lot of Pro U/W photographers on the other hand are or have been instructors.

I'd find a good photographer whose willing to share with you, I've learned more about photography from the pros that have been part of research cruises I was on than anywhere else. The OP is a teen and a diver, that's a good combo to try and find an intership with someone in the business.

Check in with the British Society of Underwater Photographers, they run a series of underwater Photo Technique presentations at their monthly meetings which are held at 8.00 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month at the Holland Club, Imperial College, South Kensington London SW7 5BD.

PB - you don't need an "instructor" necessarily to learn things. "Instructor" here being used for industry (PADI, SSI, your local college etc).

An instructor, or mentor, or guide, can be someone you know who already shoots and who is willing to help you. You can also post your images here and get feedback - usually it's pretty clear which feedback is useful and which you might want to save for later or ignore...and that will vary as you progress (regardless of who offers the feedback).

Finding someone who shoots passionately - "pro" or not - is a great idea. If this person is also an instructor in your agency of choice, that's nice, too, but it certainly isn't essential.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the good advice all :D I'll start asking around for fellow keen photographers!

Sorry for the relatively stupid question :shakehead !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom