PADI or Naui Rescue pre reqs for health care providers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lulubelle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am taking Rescue soon (only two years after I first scheduled it!!!) and need to ask something specific about the prerequisites.

I have to take the Professional Rescuer CPR course (I'm lapsed at present) which from what I can tell does not include First Aid. I'm guessing because it assumes the student to have a medical or nursing license of some kind already.

So will PADI and NAUI accept the Professional Rescuer CPR in lieu of CPR/First Aid which the Red Cross teaches in a bundle? There doesn't appear to be a separate "First Aid" course offered. I just don't want to get into a tangle about these pre reqs and would appreciate it if an instructor from both agencies can weigh in.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't count that I used to teach ACLS and PALS :D

Thanks!

You are right in that the basic EFR Course does not include First Aid. It is Primary Care (CPR). You would need to do the Primary & Secondary Care (First Aid).

To satisy the pre-requisites, Primary & Secondary Care have to be included.

Without having the full course descriptions and contents of the course you are thinking of, hard to make a call on it

Last edited:
You are right in that the EFR Course does not include First Aid. It is Primary Care (CPR). There is the option of adding Secondary Care (First Aid) onto it.

From looking at the Red Cross course description (if it is the one that includes CPR & AED), I would say that it satisfies the pre-requisites for the PADI Rescue Diver course.

The one I would have to take is the professional responder course, which is a bit more comprehensive including CPR, AED, and more. But it does not include First Aid as the layperson CPR course does nor is their an option to add it. I just hope this is not a sticking point. Seems intuitive that a professional license would satisfy that piece.

You should write to each agency's HQ to ask a question as specific as this one.

Although as an instructor I am tasked with verifying that Rescue Diver candidates have a valid and current CPR/First Aid rating, it is hard to make a determination when the rating is one we don't see often enough to really understand the performance requirements needed to earn it. PADI standards require current certification in First Aid. If your course doesn't offer that, I wouldn't, as an instructor, feel justified in simply saying, "well, she's a health care provider, so I guess she probably has the skills," even though it would seem logical. The whole issue is sticking to the standards just in case.

If I were your instructor, I'd scan your credentials and send them off to HQ for a yes or no rather than making the call myself, mainly for insurance liability reasons. It certainly seems counter-intuitive to require you to do a simple First Aid course, but in our cover-your-butt society, it may be that you'll have to do just that.

My experience has been that the PADI EFR course is very basic. Needing to renew, our LDS cancelled the EFR (only one-me-signed up), so I took the St. John Ambulance course (Canada). Much more comprehensive.

What the shop through which I did my Rescue class said was that my professional license was enough for the first aid part, but I needed a current BLS or equivalent card. I was lapsed ACLS at that time, so I had to do the EFR class. The instructor was kind enough to allow me to challenge the class, so I did the examination part and that was it.

I got waved through and made a copy of my medic card and gave it to the shop. Didn't have to take the test or anything.

I recently completed Divemaster and had similar questions. I emailed Padi and got the following answer:

"ACLS certification: meets requirements for CPR provider

PA certification: meets requirements for Basic First Aid"

A professional healthcare license meets Padi First Aid requirements. It is in their books somewhere. Examples are EMT, EMT-P, RN, PA (physician assistant), MD, DO, etc. CPR is separate. Only BLS is needed, and current ACLS incorporates BLS...

It would be hard for a Padi school to disallow something that Padi corporate says meets the prerequisites.

I recently completed Divemaster and had similar questions. I emailed Padi and got the following answer:

"ACLS certification: meets requirements for CPR provider

PA certification: meets requirements for Basic First Aid"

A professional healthcare license meets Padi First Aid requirements. It is in their books somewhere. Examples are EMT, EMT-P, RN, PA (physician assistant), MD, DO, etc. CPR is separate. Only BLS is needed, and current ACLS incorporates BLS...

It would be hard for a Padi school to disallow something that Padi corporate says meets the prerequisites.

Yep, this is the answer I got too. My professional license (NP) will satisfy the first aid requirement (well let's hope so...), and I'll have to have current ACLS or Professional Rescuer CPR. I used to teach PALS, but that is too specific to earn me a opportunity to challenge out. I'd rather not anyway as my background is in Pediatrics.

just did mine last week and same answer Current Paramedic lisc for the first aid part and Current CPR card for that part and we moved on . Great class by the way enjoyed the skills . Patient care is always the same you just get to do it in a different enviroment

Cheers
Michael:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom