PADI Open Water Course, no medical insurance. Injury possibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I did not realize it was only for recompression. I had to go to DAN just to verify. Thanks for providing that.

The most commonly reported injury during Scuba Training is barotrauma to the ear. Its the one thing your instructor can not directly observe that you did it correctly.

And they don't cover barotrauma to the ear? Good to know.

Since the Original Poster isn't (yet) a diver, it's probably worth clarifying the issue of decompression injuries, which he/she will learn more about in class. They're quite rare, and probably even more rare in well-run basic Open Water courses, but in the unfortunate case that one occurs, a major challenge is that they're expensive emergencies to treat. A basic trip to the hyperbaric chamber can easily cost into the high four figures (US$). Many facilities require reasonable proof that they'll be paid, and many general (non-diving specialty) insurance plans expect you to pay out-of-country costs up front, for which they'll reimburse you later. It can be an added complication if you're unconscious and someone you're with doesn't have a five figure credit card limit. But like I said, the chances of needing this is fairly rare, so it's probably not something to be worried about, but just to be prudently prepared.

On a completely unrelated note, I understand at least in some parts of Australia, you're required to have a dive medical performed by a certified local Australia dive medicine doctor. Wondering if this applies to OW certification in the Sydney area.

bored&hungry, if you have a car then you might want to give frogdive a go. the other two shops are fine, but I think manly dive tend to only dive at Shelly. frogdive will go to Shelly and another spot usually.

know people who have done the OW with all 3 shops and they're all fine :) if you go to froggies you might end up with me as a DM if you're unluckly :wink:

>On a completely unrelated note, I understand at least in some parts of Australia, you're required to have a dive medical performed by a
>certified local Australia dive medicine doctor. Wondering if this applies to OW certification in the Sydney area.

this is correct. cost is around $100AUD, there are some places who do it for $60 apparently... ask the shop to make a recommendation. this is the case for the whole of Australia I am lead to believe.

also this applies to ANY course, so if you come over to do a deep or wreck etc (not sure on Tech/hardhat) you will be sent to the doctor.

Last edited:
Honestly?

Get insured from someone or stay out of the water. I am BSAC trained and we are insured as a matter of membership. Anyone that tries to tell you it doesn't matter is not the one going on the water with you.

No rescue skills and no insurance mean you dive with somebody else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom