PADI Mermaid Program - WTH??!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No we don't. It's a choice.

Make a comparison with scuba regs. I have a bunch of Apeks DS4 first stages (and a couple of DSTs).
Next to the DS4, there's also a Tek3, DS1, US1, US4, FSR, MTX just to name a few.
Do we really need all these models when a DS4 still does a perfect job? Surely nobody is complaining about Apeks.
ScubaPro does an even better marketing job, as dealers have to sell a minimum amount of equipment to keep their dealership, which is one of the reasons why ScubaPro regs are on display and other brands get a less prominent place.

An even wider choice of equipment is available when it comes to BCDs. And although numerous jokes can be made about BCDs, especially by BP/W divers, BCDs are still being sold in a massive variety and price classes. "Customer wants to spend $1000 on a BCD? We'll sell a $1000 BCD!"

Still you, as a customer, are the one who decides which equipment you choose. And nobody says that the wide choice of models is absurd.

I don't believe that analogy works. Regulators, BCDs, etc. are basic equipment that can be used by any diver. A large diversity in choices serves the industry well. It allows divers to pick equipment that best suits their needs from a cost and feature perspective. In contrast a Mermaid Training Program is a completely different thing. It is attempting to create (or serve) an entirely different market. THAT is what I find a bit absurd. Is this market seriously large enough to warrant an entire training program? I honestly can't believe that it is. Perhaps they believe they can create the market. Time will tell.

I don't believe that analogy works. Regulators, BCDs, etc. are basic equipment that can be used by any diver. A large diversity in choices serves the industry well. It allows divers to pick equipment that best suits their needs from a cost and feature perspective. In contrast a Mermaid Training Program is a completely different thing. It is attempting to create (or serve) an entirely different market. THAT is what I find a bit absurd. Is this market seriously large enough to warrant an entire training program? I honestly can't believe that it is. Perhaps they believe they can create the market. Time will tell.
Maybe you could compare a mermaid training program to a full-face-mask.

The point is that you started this thread with WTH. That makes it harder to see both sides. What you're actually saying here, is the concept of creating a market. That's what marketing is all about and one aspect is the promotional email you got. PADI likely doesn't care if you describe it as absurd. SSI won't either, and the same goes for NAUI.
Because if/when this takes off, three companies are making money from course materials and certifications, and other companies are making money from suits, fins and other equipment.

When the marketing is successful, those onboard are having a big smile on their face. And the others will experience envy, which will fuel another agency bashing topic in the future.

There's still 16 places available in my next bottom-touching-course. Anyone?

There are lots of things out there that many folks (including me) would find "bizarre" but, as long as they don't impact me, I don't dwell on them... "to each their own" or " whatever floats your boat" is my view.

However, the fact that NAUI, SSI and now PADI have these programs should answer the questions that you've posed here - if there wasn't a market, 3 agencies would not be offering this stuff.

The point is that you started this thread with WTH. That makes it harder to see both sides.

I never said I was trying to see both sides :wink: I find it silly and I'm sure I always will. I made that pretty clear in my initial post.

However, the fact that NAUI, SSI and now PADI have these programs should answer the questions that you've posed here - if there wasn't a market, 3 agencies would not be offering this stuff.

Very valid point!

Entities that hire mermaids likely want some minimal credential to el ensure some level of competence right away. It’s like hiring a babysitter. Some people are happy to have the middle schooler next door to do the job, others want a high schooler with some first aid certification, still others prefer college students, usually an education major. The pay goes up with each level as well.

Entities that hire mermaids likely want some minimal credential to el ensure some level of competence right away. It’s like hiring a babysitter. Some people are happy to have the middle schooler next door to do the job, others want a high schooler with some first aid certification, still others prefer college students, usually an education major. The pay goes up with each level as well.

You folks keep making analogies to try and make it not sound silly but sorry, it's still stilly!

Comparing training Mermaids to scuba equipment, full face masks, babysitters ... none of those analogies work. All of those are real, useful "things" used by a large number of people. Mermaids are performers. Underwater dancers if you will. Only in the alternative universe that is PADI does this end up as a 7-level certification structure!

Reactions: Zef
You folks keep making analogies to try and make it not sound silly but sorry, it's still stilly!

Comparing training Mermaids to scuba equipment, full face masks, babysitters ... none of those analogies work. All of those are real, useful "things" used by a large number of people. Mermaids are performers. Underwater dancers if you will. Only in the alternative universe that is PADI does this end up as a 7-level certification structure!
You're entitled to your opinion.

Suggestion: write I think it's still silly

Back
Top Bottom