PADI Master Scuba Diver requirements...can one of my specialties be SSI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Needed to get the wall certificate and MSD backpack. Now I need to finish DM so I can snicker along with the rest of you.

They seems to be sending trash collecting mesh bags instead of backpacks recently :)

why would PADI MSD be a goal :) ?

Actually I'm all for it if it's what provides the motivation for a newer Diver to learn more or at least get a few dives with an instructor from time to time.

I asked because to meet his goal he may need to bite the bullet and get the other specialty or his goal might be better met by taking another route. It all depends on why.

As a PADI instructor, I agree with those who ask why you want the certification.

The purpose of the certification, frankly, is simply to provide an incentive for further training. You seem to be trying to avoid further training to get it. I would not be so eager to look for the easiest way to the certificate. The goal should be to learn valuable skills or get an introduction to a new area of interest. When you have a certain number of those completed, you will get the certificate. That should not be the end of your learning though--it is just a recognition of where you are now in your progress.

Because chicks dig it. Whip it out at the bars and honeys will swoon at your feet.

Please make sure that if you are ever quoted on this, you are always quoted in context.

MSD does not require any training with instructors nor any extra knowledge

I'm with you. While some PADI specialty trainings seem to be worthwhile such as Rescue and Peak Performance Buoyancy. Other specialty trainings are total BS. Boat Diving specialty? You have got to be kidding me!!! Equipment specialty? Altitude Diving Specialty?

I, a non-instructor, can show a newbie all about "Boat Diving Specialty" in ten minutes. No charge.

I, a non-specialty trained diver, can execute altitude diving without having an instructor showing me how to read the altitude adjustment depth table. Or better yet, use a dive computer that automatically compensates for altitude.

I, a non-specialty trained diver, can learn how to maintain equipment just by hanging out at the shop and talk with qualified technicians and perhaps have them let me go at it a few times under their supervision.

Underwater photography? My photographer diver buddies can give me free lectures until I die of information overload. Heck, they'd even let me use their cameras underwater.

I wouldn't have a PADI Master Scuba Diver cert to impress chicks at the bar, but I would still be trained.

I am not against training. I am against giving PADI unnecessary money for BS training and go about wave a card that has zero meaning.

I'd rather spend that money on a cool dive watch that would surely pick up chicks and impress dudes.:D Or learning how to safely do deco/multigas dives. Maybe a real wreck penetration dive class instead of what passes for PADI wreck diving training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom