PADI Master diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you had to start from scratch with PADI to get their master scuba diver cert no one would give it a shot,

Wouldn't it suck if colleges didn't accept credits from one another...I still wouldn't have graduated...LOL

Steve

The SDI dive program (I feel) is much more educational than the PADI program. (just my 2 cents)

Rescue,

Since you have been through both PADI and SDI, you know better than I how they compare. However, comparing apples with oranges can become a subjective exercise that may be based upon any number of variables.

I am certified through PADI. My son is certified through NAUI. My PADI instructor was originally certified through YMCA. His son is certified through SSI. Despite the alphabet soup, we all have fun diving, and we learn from each other.

I am a physician. When I was in college, I worried about which medical school was best to attend. Then I worried about which residency program was best to apply to. Then I fretted over which specialty would be best to pursue. Then which sub-specialty, and so on. But at the end of the day, when I think about who are the best doctors and who are the worst, I don't really ask myself where they went to school or where they trained. I just look at their results.

Some of the worst doctors attended the best schools. They were obviously book smart, but have no common sense or people skills. Conversely, some of the best doctors attended "average" schools or training programs. They just happen to be very smart, self-driven and motivated to keep learning.

Of course the curriculum and instructor quality matter. But what I take from this thread and ScubaBoard in general is that there are lots of ways to learn what you want to learn, and lots of resources to help along the way.

Whether or not one collects badges and certifications is a personal choice. Clearly, having the certificate does not necessarily make one a better diver, but aiming for the badges and certifications probably does help the serious student to improve his or her knowledge and skills.

As has been said on this board elsewhere, there is no substitute for experience. Insofar as the badges and certification levels indicate some degree of experience, they can be helpful to someone trying to make a quick assessment of a diver's abilities. But the acid test only comes when you get in the water with good divers.

IMHO, the real value of the courses offered by all of the agencies is to provide a target at which to aim. Which agency you choose may depend upon factors over which you have little control -- such as having only one or two shops available? And how do you choose if the great agency has the crummy instructor, and what do you do if the arguably crummy agency has the best teacher?

Then once having chosen, if you do the work and attain the skill, why not take the diploma? And as long as you don't get snobby or obnoxious, why not be proud of having achieved a little success?

Leap Its not a matter of missing something, One just has to look at the fact for me to go ANYWHERE salty is a minimum of 12 hours of driving and thats not necessarily the best spot either. I think Salt water dives are demanding in regards to they have current, Alot wider areas to get into trouble ECT. while fresh water lakes and quarries actually beniefit you in training for night dives and water navigation. With some exceptions I know most fresh water dives require alot of skill and patientce as low to now viz can produce a lot of unseen hazards :)

Of course the curriculum and instructor quality matter. But what I take from this thread and ScubaBoard in general is that there are lots of ways to learn what you want to learn, and lots of resources to help along the way...

...As has been said on this board elsewhere, there is no substitute for experience. Insofar as the badges and certification levels indicate some degree of experience, they can be helpful to someone trying to make a quick assessment of a diver's abilities. But the acid test only comes when you get in the water with good divers.

...IMHO, the real value of the courses offered by all of the agencies is to provide a target at which to aim. Which agency you choose may depend upon factors over which you have little control -- such as having only one or two shops available? And how do you choose if the great agency has the crummy instructor, and what do you do if the arguably crummy agency has the best teacher?

QUOTE]

Without a doubt. I have seen some really great PADI divers and instructors. Curriculum is vitally important, as is experience. During my dive education I have sought out classes from several instructors. My PADI experience spanned across 3 shops and probably 6 instructors - I really can't complain about any of my PADI instructors. I thought they all had their strengths. The reason I went to so many different instructors was because of their reputations for each particular class I took. I learned alot, don't get me wrong but in the 10 months I have been taking SDI classes I have learned so much more. Is it because my experience level has allowed me to take that much more out of my classes? I don't know. All I know is I am a much better diver than I was a year ago. BTW, the SDI Instructor I have been going to had his start in PADI.

On forums like this I like to post my experiences so others may be better informed. I think the people here have been around the block enough to take out of these forums what they feel practical and useful for their needs and file away or disregard the rest. In the Baltimore area, we are fortunate to have just about every major dive agency in a 20 mile radius. Sometimes it is a matter of crossing the street to find a dive shop that suits your needs. Someone can drive 5 miles to a PADI shop or 6 miles in the other direction to get to a SDI shop and 8 miles in a different direction to get to an SSI shop. Sometimes it seems because PADI is so popular and pleantiful people disregard the other agencies. That is unfortunate. As I have stated before and in other posts, I have been fortunate to have access to many great dive shops and instructors. I have seen the curriculum for both PADI and SDI and I feel SDI has a better program...maybe it has to do with it's affiliation with TDI and ERDI.

Ok when I spoke to the shop earlier I just realized I made a typo on my statement. 450 dollars is for the books and things through an online dealer. I have not personally checked the price at my local dive shop but as I stated to them It is a matter of getting what you pay for!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom