PADI manuals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The IM is not required , but is one of the recommended training aids for the DM candidate (of course it is, it's more money changing hands), I have always found it helpful if the DM candidate has a copy as it has the guidelines for the DM led courses in it and the student can look back over the DM section when revising.
In England the IM retails from PADI at about $170. Try ebay.

there is one exam which requires use of the IM, however you are allowed to refer to it during the exam. However most of it was common sense i hardly reffered to it.

Ok,

I guess my instructor must have done that extra because he knew I wanted to assist.

I'm absolutely certain that I received a copy of the IM from PADI after being certified. Could that be a differnece between PADI Europe and PADI America?

R..

Diver0001 once bubbled...
Ok,

I guess my instructor must have done that extra because he knew I wanted to assist.

I'm absolutely certain that I received a copy of the IM from PADI after being certified. Could that be a differnece between PADI Europe and PADI America?

R..
PADI Giving away free instructor manuals, Ha HA nice one Diver0001, you have a great sense of humour and a very vivid imagination:D

Ok,

R..

PADI standards are universal. Certain regional waivers are granted based upon environment for the purpose of training. As for getting the manual, maybe you caught a special offer or your Instructor built in the price of an IM. Either way, it sounds like you got good instruction. I'm sure you're a well prepared DM and a great asset in any class you help with.

Why haven't you become an Instructor?

the_dumper once bubbled...

PADI Giving away free instructor manuals, Ha HA nice one Diver0001, you have a great sense of humour and a very vivid imagination:D

No, Diver0001 does not have a very vivid imagination!! I have the 2001 IM on CDROM. I didn't pay for it, PADI Europe sent it to me when I first transfered my membership from PADI International to them.

For DM candidates it is good to have a copy. Nowhere in the DM paperwork are you required to learn things like Instructor / DM / student ratios. Having a copy of the manual is a good reference point for questions like this.

Jon T

LACounty4806 once bubbled...

PADI standards are universal. Certain regional waivers are granted based upon environment for the purpose of training. As for getting the manual, maybe you caught a special offer or your Instructor built in the price of an IM. Either way, it sounds like you got good instruction. I'm sure you're a well prepared DM and a great asset in any class you help with.

Why haven't you become an Instructor?

Thank you. I'm flattered.

I may yet become an instructor but I'm not in a hurry. It took me 15 years and almost 1000 dives to think that I had a broad and deep enough base of experience to become a DM. I'm not really a raving perfectionist but I don't believe in the blind leading the blind either. I believe that only a fully competent diver should become a DM and only a fully competent CA should become an instructor. So that's part of it. I'm not a good enough CA yet because I haven't seen enough yet. It's not about leading a group or whatever, but I don't see myself in that roll yet. I can't really explain it much better than that. It's like learning a martial art. You can get a black belt long before you start to really settle in to your own style.

The other part is about motivation. I honestly think that a CA is in a better position to "teach" buoyancy control and buddy skills than the instructors are. We have more swimming time with students and we have more opportunities in today's high-tempo classes to correct them and "form" the kinds of divers they will make. Obviously without a good team even an excellent CA isn't going to get anywhere but I feel I'm better positioned as a CA to work on the things that matter to me most (buoyancy and buddy skills). When I see sloppy divers I don't wonder about the instructor, I wonder about the CA.

That sort of sums it up.

R..

There is one exam for DM that is open book using the Instructor Manual and I guess that is why PADI lists it as materials that are needed on their website. I bought my Instructor Manual for class, BUT my instructor pulled out the Divemaster knowledge review and exam answer sections when I bought it. He gave them back to me after I completed the course. They also had a manual that you could borrow for the above exam for those that decided to wait to purchase it.

bubbleslan once bubbled...
There is one exam for DM that is open book using the Instructor Manual and I guess that is why PADI lists it as materials that are needed on their website.

I have no recollection of doing this exam for my DM course.

I did an internship..... is this a difference between internship and the taught course? or has it been introduced since the end of '99 (or beginning of 2000) when I did my DM course?

Jon T

Also, once you're certified PADI will send you a copy of your own. You don't need to buy it.

R..

As I wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes. "Free" and "PADI" should not be used in the same breath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom