PADI manuals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

partridge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi guys. I was looking for a PADI instructors manual so I can start studying for my divemaster course. Here in the Philippines it comes to about 287 US dollars. Is this about right?

And the Encyclopedia costs 105 US dollars.

Both of these are digital format BTW.

I dont know about the inst manual but the encyclopedia is really expensive! I'd normally wouldnt recomend it but try looking on Ebay or LP.

I've seen the IM going for about $179 US (for both hardcopy and CD-ROM versions). I can't remember exactly, but I think the ERD should be between $30 and $40.

Paul P once bubbled...
Hi guys. I was looking for a PADI instructors manual so I can start studying for my divemaster course. Here in the Philippines it comes to about 287 US dollars. Is this about right?

Why don't you ask your instructor for a copy to learn from? He will probably have several kicking around and you can usually borrow one.

R..

Paul P once bubbled...

Paul,

To be perfectly honest, you shouldn't have the Instructor Manual before you take the DM class. The manual is designed specifically for the purpose of teaching various classes, and more specifically, the Divemaster exams and answers for them are in there. That's why there are specific training materials for the DM class. The ERD and your DM materials are more than enough for the class. Finish your DM class and then buy the instructor manual directly from PADI.

I am taking my divemaster course now. I have the divemaster manual and have read it thoroughly.

Regarding the PADI Instructor's Manual, the PADi website says it is one of the materials I need.

This list is from their website.

* Divemaster Training Package
* Divemaster Video
* Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
* Diving Knowledge Workbook
* PADI Instructor Manual
* Log Book

My instructor can get the manual for me but it is from other dive shops in the country. Sometimes it is too much trouble to get it straight from PADI because of shipping and customs in my country. Just want to verify the cost.

LACounty4806 once bubbled...

Paul,

To be perfectly honest, you shouldn't have the Instructor Manual before you take the DM class. The manual is designed specifically for the purpose of teaching various classes, and more specifically, the Divemaster exams and answers for them are in there. That's why there are specific training materials for the DM class. The ERD and your DM materials are more than enough for the class. Finish your DM class and then buy the instructor manual directly from PADI.

I was required to become familiar with the content of the IM as part of the course. I don't think you can be certified for DM if you don't know what's in there.

Also, once you're certified PADI will send you a copy of your own. You don't need to buy it.

R..

Diver0001 once bubbled...

I was required to become familiar with the content of the IM as part of the course. I don't think you can be certified for DM if you don't know what's in there.

Also, once you're certified PADI will send you a copy of your own. You don't need to buy it.

R..

Paul,

You do not need to be familiar with the contents of the IM to be a DM. What you need to know to be a DM is in the DM materials and in the course content as presented by your instructor as set forth by PADI standards. The Instructor manual is part of the IDC materials and is designed to be used with the Instructor candidate workbook. That's the way the PADI system works.

In addition, PADI will not send anyone a free instructor manual. You will have to buy it.

Paul P once bubbled...
I am taking my divemaster course now. I have the divemaster manual and have read it thoroughly.

Regarding the PADI Instructor's Manual, the PADi website says it is one of the materials I need.

This list is from their website.

* Divemaster Training Package
* Divemaster Video
* Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
* Diving Knowledge Workbook
* PADI Instructor Manual
* Log Book

My instructor can get the manual for me but it is from other dive shops in the country. Sometimes it is too much trouble to get it straight from PADI because of shipping and customs in my country. Just want to verify the cost.

Paul,

Just to be perfectly clear there is no standard in PADI that says you have to buy any PADI product. You don't have to own any manuals to pass a PADI class. You can share with a friend or a shop.

As for the website, I helped design and write all the copy on it so I know what it says and what it means. It doesn't say required. It's called marketing.

And the pricing is way too high anyway. I suspect a handling charge of some kind is being put in there by whoever is getting you the product.

Get the manual after the DM class and when you are sure you want to be an instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom