PADI manual pages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My understanding is the cost of the PIC is higher if purchased without the training materials.

I don't believe that is the case, but rather, the more PICs you use per year, the cheaper PICs become.

am not in favor of the notion of pulling the pages out of the books....it is what PADI expects, but they printed the books with the knowledge review questions on the same page or back of the page that relevant info is on...ripping out the page makes the book less valuable as part of a personal reference library. The instructor is supposed to retain the torn out pages in their files for a certain length of time. My preference is to photo copy the pages with the questions, answer them and give the copy to the instructor. Not what PADI expects, not what all instructors are amenable to either.

I was amenable to that, and all instructors I had were. If someone writes in ink in your book, is someone else going to use whiteout to reuse that book? They'd have to be a really cheap b@stard to do that.

Your post is somewhat difficult to decipher. By "idiots" are you referring the the PADI organization or divers like me who photocopy pages from the manual so they don't have to buy it new?
Oh, ok...I understand your position now....lol

The standard no longer requires we retain the paper copies. When it did, it was also acceptable to photocopy the completed pages from the book, which is what I would do if the student preferred. (Still it was NOT okay to complete a photocopied page.)

It is still required students own their own material, and do all the work on the pages in the book. I just need to verify the completion to standard. So more honor system now, and less paper retention and/or physical proof.

The standard no longer requires we retain the paper copies. When it did, it was also acceptable to photocopy the completed pages from the book, which is what I would do if the student preferred. (Still it was NOT okay to complete a photocopied page.)

It is still required students own their own material, and do all the work on the pages in the book. I just need to verify the completion to standard. So more honor system now, and less paper retention and/or physical proof.
All true. We no longer use text books. All online elearning.

For all the courses I took (ending 2009) I copied the knowledge reviews and either tore out the originals and handed them in or handed in the copies. I wanted a record of the questions for future reference & study. I suppose technically this violated copywrite, something I am of course against, being an author myself. OTOH, I did buy all the stuff to begin with. As a Band teacher we would buy arrangements which may have 8 flute parts (you have 15 flutes in the band), and 4 tuba parts (you have 1 player). Not gunna order the arrangement 2 or 3 times to make it work. I can't be fired, am retired since 1996.
Then there's the thing of elementary/jr.high kids losing their parts. "Tell them to be more responsible". …. Good luck with that.

For all the courses I took (ending 2009) I copied the knowledge reviews and either tore out the originals and handed them in or handed in the copies. I wanted a record of the questions for future reference & study. I suppose technically this violated copywrite, something I am of course against, being an author myself. OTOH, I did buy all the stuff to begin with. As a Band teacher we would buy arrangements which may have 8 flute parts (you have 15 flutes in the band), and 4 tuba parts (you have 1 player). Not gunna order the arrangement 2 or 3 times to make it work. I can't be fired, am retired since 1996.
Then there's the thing of elementary/jr.high kids losing their parts. "Tell them to be more responsible". …. Good luck with that.
Copying the completed work was part of the PADI program. No PADI copyright violation.

Reactions: yle
For all the courses I took (ending 2009) I copied the knowledge reviews and either tore out the originals and handed them in or handed in the copies. I wanted a record of the questions for future reference & study. I suppose technically this violated copywrite, something I am of course against,

I think that falls under fair use. The issue comes down to, are you doing something with the material that results in an income loss to the owner of the content? If you decide to make copies and line your bird cage, I don't think PADI will care. They may be slightly offended, but they won't issue you a cease and desist letter.

have to hand in the originals not photo copies , that way the book cant be used /resold again padis way of making you buy new each time

have to hand in the originals not photo copies , that way the book cant be used /resold again padis way of making you buy new each time
Again, that is not a current requirement.

Not true. It has been years now that no need to collect knowledge reviews

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom