PADI manual pages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I was able to buy some second hand manuals, but come to find out all but one had the test pages ripped out. Is there anyone who has the test pages not filled out and willing to post then? I need the deep, drift, night, rescue, and nitrox. thank you in advance.

this is why you need to purchase current materials.. I will be surprised if instructor will allow this.

My instructor copied the relevant knowledge and review questions out of the chapters for me to fill out. Said there's no reason to spend a bunch of money on the books given that we had them from another diver.

Maybe just ask him or her.

I don't know if the pages are submitted to PADI or the instructor keeps them in a file but either way it wasn't an issue.

My instructor copied the relevant knowledge and review questions out of the chapters for me to fill out. Said there's no reason to spend a bunch of money on the books given that we had them from another diver.

I don't know if the pages are submitted to PADI or the instructor keeps them in a file but either way it wasn't an issue.

While I've been inactive with PADI for a couple years, I'm pretty sure my memory serves me in that is a standards violation. According to my PADI instructor friends, PADI has made it harder to get PICs (what is used to process certs) as they are trying to crack down on people not buying training materials (as PADI is a publishing company of books and cards). However, people are able to buy valid new materials online, so the instructor/shop has the burden of dealing with this change in policy.

Asking students to buy new training materials isn't that big of an ask. I don't think PADI's expectations of this are unreasonable. If you think that PADI books are too expensive, maybe diving isn't for you.

and when I'm buying new manuals those idiots aren't getting my pages from them
and they didn't

and when I'm buying new manuals those idiots aren't getting my pages from them and they didn't

Your post is somewhat difficult to decipher. By "idiots" are you referring the the PADI organization or divers like me who photocopy pages from the manual so they don't have to buy it new?

Is training violation not to use proper materials. no need for instructor to retain pages. This is another reason to have instructors just use elearning to stop fraud. Pic is included with elearning .

While I've been inactive with PADI for a couple years, I'm pretty sure my memory serves me in that is a standards violation. According to my PADI instructor friends, PADI has made it harder to get PICs (what is used to process certs) as they are trying to crack down on people not buying training materials (as PADI is a publishing company of books and cards). However, people are able to buy valid new materials online, so the instructor/shop has the burden of dealing with this change in policy.

Asking students to buy new training materials isn't that big of an ask. I don't think PADI's expectations of this are unreasonable. If you think that PADI books are too expensive, maybe diving isn't for you.

My understanding is the cost of the PIC is higher if purchased without the training materials.

I am not in favor of the notion of pulling the pages out of the books....it is what PADI expects, but they printed the books with the knowledge review questions on the same page or back of the page that relevant info is on...ripping out the page makes the book less valuable as part of a personal reference library. The instructor is supposed to retain the torn out pages in their files for a certain length of time. My preference is to photo copy the pages with the questions, answer them and give the copy to the instructor. Not what PADI expects, not what all instructors are amenable to either.

I do think that if you are taking the class that you should purchase the book, it serves as a good reference down the road.

This makes me wonder if the instructor is charging you for the materials but not ordering them and just pocketing the money.

PADI only gets money from students when they purchase the student materials (books, ect.) and the PIC which is the admin fee. Given that you are certified for life and PADI will maintain your name in their database forever the materials and PIC fees are not that bad. These costs should be factored in by the instructor/shop/dive ceter when they determine how much they plan to charge students for the courses they teach.

-Z

Not very professional on your instructors part. Makes one question what other standards violated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom