PADI: How do I cancel my certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct and thanks, except you need a card to dive with a dive shop, and it proves I have no intent. They will, of course, not cover me if I change my mind and go out there on my own, certified or not certified. Just like they may not cover me if I jump off a plane, parachute or no parachute.

I have left my cards on many occasion, did not think I would have time on a trip or simply forgot. So what were I to do, I called up a PADI shop and asked to speak to their instructor. Explained my citation, forgot my card and want to dive. I need everything can you long on and pull my certs so I can dive. The dive op says yes. Couple hours later I have rented everything I needed to go diving and the shop just made my trip and a couple extra bucks because they looked me up in the PADI system and saw I was certified.

(Yes a lawyer who dives - you know what you call 10 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean??)

Yup..... A good start

Yes, the host of this thread shouddl have surfaced; but his DM should have required it and I would gladly bring the lawsuit for him. (Yes a lawyer who dives - you know what you call 10 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean??)

I don't follow this line of logic Fred. The OP has not provided us sufficient information to determine if the DM caused his DCI. OP has only told us that his dive computer failed and he relied on the DM's dive computer to gauge depth, nitrogen intake, NDL/MDT, etc. We don't even know if they both used the same dive computer or if one was set for more aggressive profiles. Assuming that the OP had a working dive computer, performed the exact same dive profile and succumbed to DCI, would you still blame the DM? Every dive training manual and dive computer owner's manual will state that even should you dive within the recommended limits, you may still get DCI.

If the DM exceeded MDT/NDL, then sure he bares responsibility. If he set his dive computer for very aggressive dive profiles, then the DM bares responsibility. If he stayed within the limits that the certification agencies have established or if he stayed within the no-deco limits of his dive computer (assuming normal/non-aggressive profiles), then the DM is blameless.

On another note, what do you call 10 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? :confused:

I know Scubaboard is all about self-reliance for divers. Now lets talk about the other 98% of divers who go once or twice a year, find PADI certified shops who advertise all about the safety and service, and who rely on their DM to guide and protect them as they promise to do. . . .

They are. They hold themselves out as being there to assure their customers of safe dives. You cannot tell the diving public that you are there to keep them safe and then pretend that the best DM stays on the surface. The reality is different. PADI accreditation of dive shops and 5 star especially, is an advertisement to the public about how skilled the shops are and how well taken care of the guests will be. . . .

. . .and I would gladly bring the lawsuit for him.

I have to say that if you're bored after you retire and want a hobby, you would be doing to the entire diving community a huge service if you sued PADI's ass off.

AFAIK, PADI doesn't actually say in words that "the DM will keep you safe" however it's implied everywhere and you would have to look far and wide to find a brand new diver that didn't believe this. It's a huge disservice and also quite deceptive because due to physics, the DM can't actually keep anybody "safe" that is much more than "grabbing distance" away, and even then it's a crap shoot. It's complete nonsense that a DM could do anything significant for a group spread out over hundreds of feet, or even be aware of the problem.

Also, while "5 Star Dive Shop" sounds impressive, it's simply a marketing term like "Super Walmart". There are no "4 Star" PADI establishments or any other number of stars. If you have any stars, you have five of them. The major requirements all involve marketing, exclusivity and money.

Have fun! :cool:

flots.

Last edited:
When the insurance agent asks if you dive, say no. You will legally attest to all of your answers after the form is complete.its as simple as that. You either dive or you don't. There is no in between.

I just purchased life insurance and answered yes to diving. I had to answer a few more questions about diving. I had a previous quote from the same agent before filling out any forms. The quote stayed the same after he submitted the extra scuba form stating that I dive frequently. The agent said diving outside of recreational limits would have increased the premium.

Sorry to hear of your incident. The PADI quality assurance process often seems unsatisfying from the perspective of the person reporting the incident. They DO do things, but those things are not for public consumption (and you, in this case, are the public). My guess is that your report was received, and that there was interaction between the QA department and the member (dive masters and instructors are members of PADI; you are not) and a course of action with respect to the member was determined and followed through. That could be anything from remediation to expulsion. You will never know what the outcome was. If you received NO response at all, perhaps you should try again with your report. Mike Hill is a Regional Manager. If you contact head office at the number I gave above, and ask to speak with the Quality Assurance department, you should be able to determine the status of your report. As I say, it may well be unsatisfying, in that a possible response to you is "we looked into it and the matter is now closed."

I am glad to hear you are fully recovered.

kari

PADI is great about training/certification, except for not responding or doing anything about the incident.

If I understand correctly, you had an equipment malfunction and did not do what you were trained to do in that case, which is to end the dive. I know you said you "own some of the guilt" but what, exactly, do you expect PADI to do about it? You seem to be suggesting that it was the DM's fault so what, precisely, do you think he did that should be actionable by PADI?

R..

I wonder how much DAN or diveassure cost per year ? Would they have filled in the gap for the OP insurance exclusion.

The DM should have told him to end the dive and sent him and his buddy up to the boat or at least to under 25 feet.

The DM should have told him to end the dive and sent him and his buddy up to the boat or at least to under 25 feet.

This type of thinking is endemic to what is wrong with diving today. Expecting someone else to take responsibility for a diver's safety. Why should the DM have to tell him what to do? The DM, unless specifically contracted and paid to hold someone's hand, is not responsible for how a person conducts a dive. That is up to the individual. Telling a diver that the DM should have done this or that just perpetuates the lie. And puts extra stress on a DM that they do not need. It is unfair to expect a DM to take on this responsibility. DM's in many locations are saddled with divers who have been told that the training they just received is fine. Not to worry about this or that because a DM, like some kind of guardian angel, will be on the dive. Professionals that tell divers this should be ashamed of themselves. It is disgusting and perhaps used to justify the short comings of the training they provide.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom