PADI Holds The New World's Record for Fastest OW Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cant say my class was that different. We watched the videos and read the books in a classroom instead, but in the end it was take a test, do some pool work and then 4 OW dives.

Compared to alot of dive shops weekend courses the only thing I can fault the cruise ship on is cruise ships have big pump 'em through attitude, much like alot of the worst dive shops.

How many pool hours and how many OW dives do you need if you can prove that you can do the skills? The real problem would be instructors signing off people who arent ready rather than an accelerated course itself.

Web Monkey, I don't think anyone is saying that the world of dive instruction cannot be improved. I personally feel that it can be substantially improved.

We have demonstrated that students can learn the ACADEMIC portion of the open water class by reading the text book and then asking specific questions. ACADEMIC learning is generally tested through a written exam, and students who do home study often score quite well on written exams.

The person who started this thread failed to consider the open water dives as part of the dive instruction. That's what got this started.

With respect to accident statistics, while I understand your comments about the cruise you went on, I'd prefer to look at a larger data set. When viewed as a whole scuba diving has a very low accident rate.

espenskogen:
...It actually includes five modules in the pool - One or more modules can be done in the same 'dive' if you like - But they have to be done in sequence - i.e module 1 first then module 2...

Thank you for the correction - it's been a while since I've assisted with a PADI course.

I think the OW Certification is a lot like a Drivers Learner Permit or even a 16 year old with a full blow license. Just because you have the license does not necissarily mean you're ready for 5 o'clock rush hour traffic in a busy city.

I just received my OW certification and I don't think I'm even close to heading out on my own and I think I was one of the better students in my class. From a newbies point of view I don't care how many certifications you have it looks like the more time you can get in the water with experienced divers the better off you will be in the long run.

People that head out on their own fresh off of an OW cert look like a statistic waiting to happen. Just my opinion.

TheMule:
I think the OW Certification is a lot like a Drivers Learner Permit or even a 16 year old with a full blow license. Just because you have the license does not necissarily mean you're ready for 5 o'clock rush hour traffic in a busy city.

I just received my OW certification and I don't think I'm even close to heading out on my own and I think I was one of the better students in my class. From a newbies point of view I don't care how many certifications you have it looks like the more time you can get in the water with experienced divers the better off you will be in the long run.

People that head out on their own fresh off of an OW cert look like a statistic waiting to happen. Just my opinion.
Mike,

That outlook will serve you well. Be sure to search Scubaboard, ask a lot of questions (here, at dive sites, and at your LDS), and find a mentor to show you the finer points of diving.

Good luck!

TheMule:

Practice practice practice that makes a good diver. You have a good outlook on diving and will love it for years.

Web Monkey:
Actually, they are.

On my last cruise ship dive (last year) one diver came up bleeding from his nose, another was bleeding from his eye, and the third looked like his leg lost a fight with a cheese grater. 3 injured out of 20 isn't exactly a ratio to be proud of.

They probably would have done better if they had more than 4 dives in an 8 foot pool.

Terry

You gotta find a better cruise ship line.

This is long so I appologize.

My wife and I took our OW in the usual manner.

2 nights a week of 1 hour class and 1 1/2 - 2 hour pool time, twice a week for three weeks then 4 open water dives over a weekend. Our AOW was a farce...book study at home, drop off the "reviews" to the DI on the evening of the Night dive followed by 2 days of two dives each.

We got certified....yeah.....certifiable is more like it.

Both of us are now on a self inflicted training plan including one night a week in the pool (until the season starts again) practicing skills, bouyancy trim and fin kicks etc, then plan on at least one or two days a week(2 dives per day) of shallow (60 or less) dives for most of the summer.

AFTER THIS we mght try to hit deeper targets, or try more challenging dive scenarios.

I'd like to uggest something...from a learners point of view.

The drive in the industry appears to be to get people diving quicly at a minimum cost...to self perpetuate the indusrty... create new fodder for the retail sales side of the business.

Most agencies appear (from my research) seem to follow this model..to one extent or another (individual instructors may be more effective in their training re extra knowledge imparted, and higher that baseline requirements).

The tech gurus (GUE) are now thinking of getting into the business of starting with entry level students and taking them up to AOW and slightly beyond....but so far their retail costing model will probably not work as it asks for the total (somewhere between 2 and 2.5 K) up front. Its easy to see how the other agencies are able to under cut this with the stepwise cost models that they use. 2 - 3 hundred per course. (just more courses required)

It would be interesting if any ageny, or training provider, tried adapting the multicourse, spread out cost model, of the manistream agencies.

I'll take the PADI model, as I am familiar with it.

IMHO, knowledge wise, a successful recreational diver needs the skills taught in the OW, Peak Perfromance Bouyancy, Underwater Nav, Multilevel, AOW, and Rescue courses, just to be able to handle the varied dives that they will face during the first two years of diving. Now one could take each course in succession in one summer, using just the minimum number of open dives (26).

The problem I see with this, and this is from a rookie's point of view, is that 26 training dives, where skills are the focus, and not practical diving, is no where near enough diving practice, to make effective divers. Perhaps PADI, and the other multi-tier agencies, should start imposing minimum logged dive pre-requisites for each stage of their training plan.

I'm not experienced enough to know how many dives between each course would be appropriate for the baseline divers,,but I would think somewhere bewtween ten and fifteen dives might be appropriate. This would equate to approximately 86 dives in total. No offense to anyone out there, but IMO, if haven't become a proficient diver after 86 dives (both pratcice, and educational) then perhaps a new hobby should be considered.

The classroom time, can easily be replaced with home based book study if it is verified by real testing, which could be preceeded by brief review with an instructor (Q&A time). It's the in-water time that, IMHO, needs to be beefed up.(and not just in-water training time, but in-water practice dives.)

Just my newbie 2 cents.

Storm:
...Our AOW was a farce...book study at home, drop off the "reviews" to the DI on the evening of the Night dive followed by 2 days of two dives each.

We got certified....yeah.....certifiable is more like it...

Storm,

I think if PADI took a poll they would find most people would prefer a change to the AOW cert. The "Advanced" part is what most find misleading.

What you are seeking will serve you well. I suggest finding an excellent instructor who is willing to beef up some of your classes with extra instruction and give him or her a nice tip afterwards.

Storm:
........ Our AOW was a farce...book study at home, drop off the "reviews" to the DI on the evening of the Night dive followed by 2 days of two dives each.

We got certified....yeah.....certifiable is more like it.

Hey Storm, you should tell them just how much of a farce it was. Tell them how many students went OOA on the same dive, tell them just how unprepared the students (so much for prequalification of the student) were, not to mention the Instructors.

Tell them how typical this is in our area with OW and AOW courses.

Tell them how the Instructors evidently are following proper "Standards" (Well they must be because they're ALL still teaching including a few that had serious issues) so it seems to me they did nothing wrong. LOL.

As you know Storm ole buddy, there are those of us pushing for better. It's a lost cause nationally, so all we can do is basically shame the local crowd into performing better. That's where we're going to get our biggest bang for our buck.

She's all up-hill, but we manage to keep this nonsense in the forefront long enough to allow students everywhere (locally) to see this crap for what it is. You can't talk common sense too long before a lot of people start seeing it and demanding better.

Keep up the good work dude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom