Question PADI eRDPML app for pros only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So there is a point.

I don't think about it much, since either the computer on my right wrist or the computer on my left wrist is more than adequate.
As long as you don’t switch them back and forth, all Willy-Nilly. Left and right, or for manly-divers, well, there are other options.

Or is that a good idea? Especially if the two ’don’t agree’?

My wife wore a computer and also worked her tables for the first 75 resort repetitive dives. Unknown why. On Day 2, she was always technically by the tables quite dead.

On Day 2, she was always technically by the tables quite dead.
I assume this is pure htperbole. DCS, maybe. It is very easy to violate the tables with repetitive dives, which is why people like computers.

Reactions: Doc
I assume this is pure htperbole.
Ahh, umm, you do know me by now?

DCS, maybe. It is very easy to violate the tables with repetitive dives, which is why people like computers.
The mathematical proof, finally, of this post. (Yes, the wife ignored that asterisk thing on the Tables where it said to go sunbathing for 24hrs before looking at the tables again)

i always looked at the eRDP as the more ‘user familiar’ version of the Wheel. Noobs were happy with LED pocket calculators and hand held Tetris games. The eRDP was a method to teach gas theory while computing the Pressure Group. PADI philosophy always reverted to teaching above the mere doing.

These gadgets were given ‘PADI papal blessing’ for use about two years too late. By then, computers were the obvious solution, but nobody could write an inclusive training module to cover all manufacturers and their buttons. You still can’t, but now we have a compromise training process for use in the ‘generalist’ population (read: lowest common denominator). It’s fine, everything will be o.k,, just wear this fancy box that also serves as a status level statement.

The big additional quandary: We all started with the USN Square Profile card. Even PADI which usually diverted to Joey Strykowsi’s book. It was very soon (by today’s standard of change) adapted and altered to the Agency issue card. Then changes stopped cold.

How to explain real recreational profiles, Multi-Level diving? If but not for the cumbersome Wheel? If but not for the ridiculous adaptation to a familiar feeling ‘calculator’ eRDP, how could we teach gas principles for basic recreational diving.

These things, RDP, eRDP, the Wheel- they were merely tools to try to pound into their heads the science of not getting “the rapture of the deep/the Bends”. But those TV tropes have been forgotten. Deeper education is only available past the basic PADI courses, and don’t think for a moment that the other few ‘major players’ are really any different. The average entry level consumer really doesn’t shiv a git about gas theory.

to the OP, no, i don’t have the software.

The Fix-All: Buy a ‘puck’, Just put this on and watch the pixels, They’re cheap but not a status symbol. Note the doofuses at the resort or LOB eating dinner strapped” with a Perdix (lest they tip and fall into the pool)

Pixels: if it’s Green? go dive, Yellow- better think about it, Red, well, you’re screwed.

I'd glad I don't have your jaded and bleak view of life and divers.

I'd glad I don't have your jaded and bleak view of life and divers.
I’m 62 years into sucking compressed air. Get back to us when you’re standing on that back roll :wink:

I’m 62 years into sucking compressed air. Get back to us when you’re standing on that back roll :wink:
I'm only 60 years into sucking compressed air, is that close enough to argue with you?
I'm off to Bonaire for 2 weeks in a few days, the Red Sea in October, Grand Cayman in November, Indonesia next March.
Are you doing any diving?

I'm only 60 years into sucking compressed air, is that close enough to argue with you?
I'm off to Bonaire for 2 weeks in a few days, the Red Sea in October, Grand Cayman in November, Indonesia next March.
Are you doing any diving?
More HSA pool work right now. (Actually, kinda’ technically broke my neck while diving on April 17th 2022. Just turned to look at a fish and became a 80% paraplegic now for a few months) Still doing HSA pool work. No, I don’t log pool dives, if I did I’d be like 10k dives.

Last time I did Bonaire or Cayman was 1980. Let me know how it looks. Wife & I did SoPac to Maldives, Antarctica, all that bucket-list stuff, but now that I need ADA type stuff, Of such exotica, I only have memories, reaching back to Truk in the 70’s. To provide my level of needed access, I do go to CoCo View often, they can accommodate my gimpiness. It still is good diving, even after seeing it since 1984. I think that means yes, I am doing any diving. But- not to argue.

What’s important for me now is to share the freedom of movement that the Sea offers, not so much Buhlmann explanations of science.

it’s not an argument, unless it needs to be made into one.

i try to create happy, competent, recreational level divers. So far, so good.

I’m not beholden to a shop nor peddling it’s stock-on-hand, nor does my income stream depend upon OW, much less AOW or selling patches. I really don’t get paid. Not in money, anyway.

So this does tie-in to the OP, pardon me while i drag this OT wobble back to that. The desire for OP to acquire the software algorithm used for the eRDP is of fair interest and possible value. I thought it of historical note to give my recollection of it’s development- certainly not it’s technical foundation but more in my area of expertise: the academic Course Development and marketing. Without those two critical components, all this high-level science would be rendered moot.

The short-lived, very transitory nature of it’s perceived usefulness fascinates. Much the same as Advantix format film, BetaMax, 3d TV, quad stereo, and hand-held microfiche readers, Something brilliant that was doomed before it hit the shelves.

Again, if that sounds like arguing, okay. I have spent a lot of time figuring out guerrilla marketing tactics for LDS survival, it’s just the level I look at things.

The desire for OP to acquire the software algorithm used for the eRDP is of fair interest and possible value.
All he wanted was the app or the calculator, not the algorithm.

Back
Top Bottom