Padi EFR class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nebdiver

Reaction score
Just finished OW this weekend and am looking to eventually make it to Rescue. My question concerns the Emergency First Response class necessary for Rescue. Is this class SCUBA specific? I am a trained First Responder (Amer. Heart Assoc.)for my workplace and am wondering if that training is the same program. I am getting close to the recert date on EFR and would like to kill two birds with one class. Maybe I can work it out so I get the PADI course to cover for my work situation.

Nebdiver:
Just finished OW this weekend and am looking to eventually make it to Rescue. My question concerns the Emergency First Response class necessary for Rescue. Is this class SCUBA specific? I am a trained First Responder (Amer. Heart Assoc.)for my workplace and am wondering if that training is the same program. I am getting close to the recert date on EFR and would like to kill two birds with one class. Maybe I can work it out so I get the PADI course to cover for my work situation.
The PADI course is not scuba specific, but since it is usually taught by scuba shops, scuba accidents will almost certainly be covered. You should be allowed to do rescue with most current CPR & First Aid certifications.

I'd check with your shop and see if they include AED training in the EFR if you are not already familiar with AED's. I'd also recommend taking the DAN O2 provider course. It's not required for rescue but is very valuable.

James

EFR is a great program with good quality materials. It allows self study and EFR corp is bringing out other modules such as CPR for kids and the new workplace orientated CPR, later on theree is a dive medic module planned.

If you are due for retraining, go for the EFR. Just like James said, make sure that you get the Primary, Secondary and AED / O2 complete.

I havent done either the EFR or any Red-Cross like training since i trained as a lifeguard a few years ago. However, later this year we are going to do our Rescue certs (when the sun becomes a little less aggressive and we can spend all day on the surface without looking like English tourists in Central FL), so we were looking at the options available in terms of fulfilling the pre-requisite 1st aid stuff. I would have thought that a typical 1st aid/CPR class run by a major training agency would have more in it than say a PADI course, which typically distills things down to their most basic forms. Our instructor actually teaches all the above, inc non-diving 1st aid/CPR courses, i will ask him what he recommends nearer the time as well (he is off doing the scout camp diving thing for the next month or so still). I was just wondering though.

simbrooks:
I havent done either the EFR or any Red-Cross like training since i trained as a lifeguard a few years ago. However, later this year we are going to do our Rescue certs (when the sun becomes a little less aggressive and we can spend all day on the surface without looking like English tourists in Central FL), so we were looking at the options available in terms of fulfilling the pre-requisite 1st aid stuff. I would have thought that a typical 1st aid/CPR class run by a major training agency would have more in it than say a PADI course, which typically distills things down to their most basic forms. Our instructor actually teaches all the above, inc non-diving 1st aid/CPR courses, i will ask him what he recommends nearer the time as well (he is off doing the scout camp diving thing for the next month or so still). I was just wondering though.
It's been about 17 years since I took Red-Cross CPR/First aid. I'd say that the EFR course was much better, but I'm guessing that in the past 17 years the Red-Cross course has improved so it's not a fair comparison.

I do know if you really want to get the best rescue course you should seek out a YMCA and do the SLAM course.

James

James Goddard:
I do know if you really want to get the best rescue course you should seek out a YMCA and do the SLAM course.

What makes SLAM different than other rescue courses? (I realize it's not the same as EFR or CPR/first AID/DAN O2... I'm wondering about the comparison w/ NAUI or PADI Rescue courses....)

Jim

The EFR is similar to the Amer. Heart Association. Taking a Rescue class for SCUBA requires an accredited CPR training with two years of prior your REscue.

Since you have training and CPR is required a refresher course every two years hence you have no problem when you are to take your Rescue class for SCUBA.

i suggest you enjoy your Advanced courses.

:eek:)

GoBlue!:
What makes SLAM different than other rescue courses? (I realize it's not the same as EFR or CPR/first AID/DAN O2... I'm wondering about the comparison w/ NAUI or PADI Rescue courses....)

Jim
It's just more involved. From a minimum requirements standpoint the classes would basicly go in the following order:

NAUI Basic Rescue
PADI Rescue
NAUI Advanced Rescue
YMCA SLAM

For example, (for the lawyers among us, I don't have the YMCA standards but I've been told them) SLAM requires O2 provider training which is optional for PADI.

If you want to become a YMCA divemaster but have PADI rescue, you have to do a SLAM "add on" to cover the skills that were not covered by the PADI course. Going the other direction, no such add on is required.

I just completed my Red Cross CPR & First Aid course last the week before last. I have previously been a professional rescuer, and I found the course, while a little less in depth than the professional course, to be thorough and a good experience. It probably helped that the instructor was a paramedic for the Denver Flight for Life. He was also a diver, and after the course showed my buddy and me a few tricks to know during diving (purge respiration, etc.).

We did cover the use of the AED.

PADI only requires CURRENT certification in CPR and First Aid for Rescue Diver. You do not need to take the PADI EFR course to meet this. In my case, I spent $47 for the Red Cross course vs. $130 the LDS wanted to teach me the same thing.

Support your local Red Cross, and save money at the same time.

Just wondering if anyone is a EMT? (Basic or Paramedic)

Both the wife and I are...and one of the local shops wants us
to take "their" classes on O2 provider and 1st aid before taking the rescue course???

Anyone else ever had this problem?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom