PADI E-Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI elearning is way behind SSI.
Yet, I remember the great big posters at DEMA where SSI attacked the internet while PADI was already offering e-learning. These programs are expensive to create. SSi's, being created after PADI's, is definitely more current. SDI/TDI were the agency leaders for e-learning and PADI was right behind them. I would suspect we'll see them rolling out new classes as time goes on. When's the last time you took a look? As for Scubaearth: that kind of helped SB a bit. :D

If you go to the shop first it might be ok. At my favorite op I show up directly at the boat with all my gear and tanks. They collect your cards as you set up on the boat. They return the cards at the end of the trip as your approach shore. You really only need one or two cards max. Nitrox if you are getting a fill and something that proves you are certified. That can be almost any of the cards that require at least OW. Perhaps solo if you want to do that and the op requires the card.

My Padi card picture is from 32 years ago! Of course I think of myself as 20 years old, but it's a bit of a stretch for the dive shop operators to get from that pic to my present self. Padi did update my picture in their database, but I'm not going to pay the fees for a new card until I have to. Hopefully I'll take a higher class and update it, but I'm waiting for my son to catch up with me so we can take it together.

When I saw my shopping cart total, I just closed that browser tab. I wouldn't have minded paying $10-20.

If you go to the shop first it might be ok. At my favorite op I show up directly at the boat with all my gear and tanks. They collect your cards as you set up on the boat. They return the cards at the end of the trip as your approach shore. You really only need one or two cards max. Nitrox if you are getting a fill and something that proves you are certified. That can be almost any of the cards that require at least OW. Perhaps solo if you want to do that and the op requires the card.
So, what do they do if someone shows up with an e-card only, no physical card?

googled "Scuba forum", and here I am
We need a "Super Like" button!!! :D :D :D

So, what do they do if someone shows up with an e-card only, no physical card?

They are a PADI shop and are reasonably high-tech. (Owner/Captain has a PhD in Chemistry as I recall.) I imagine if you show up at the shop before the dive (It is two blocks away and opens prior to first dive) you can get okayed. They require a C card be shown before the dive boat departs but do not specify how it has to be shown. Not sure about at the boat. Never seen it done but it may have been done when I was not looking.

They are a PADI shop and are reasonably high-tech. (Owner/Captain has a PhD in Chemistry as I recall.) I imagine if you show up at the shop before the dive (It is two blocks away and opens prior to first dive) you can get okayed. They require a C card be shown before the dive boat departs but do not specify how it has to be shown. Not sure about at the boat. Never seen it done but it may have been done when I was not looking.

What shop? It might be interesting to dive with a fellow chemist.

Paul Gregory owner/captain of Aquatic Safaris in Wilmington NC. Located right next to Wrightsville Beach. They have two boats. He always captains the Aquatic Safaris I which is the bigger one. That is the one used for the longer runs like Rosin, Normania. Also runs some of their other popular dives: Hyde, Gill, offshore ledges. It is a good operation. Note that this is NC diving. No DM in the water unless you request one but they are not that expensive. They see that those who want buddy's get them. You go at your own pace and do your own thing. This location is south of Morehead and Hatteras. I have never seen much current and I have way over 100 dives with them. Big draw this time of year is the sand tigers. Saw several on my dives a week ago on the Hyde. Couple nice water side restaraunts/bars right next to the marina (3 min walk) for afterwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom