PADI Does Revoke Certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because people have spent the last 40 years dying by trying things out, and as a community people have learnt from those deaths? Most ideas have been thought of and tried, and many of them rejected because they simply don't work, or introduct additional complications. People get very agitated because, well, they don't like to see people die by repeating the mistakes of others.

If you are referring to the fundamentals of diving, I would agree completely However, there are many facets of diving that the community as a whole does not agree on. I don't have to have a thousand dives under my belt to read and research the differing opinions. This board is proof that there are many things that the community does not agree upon.

If you are referring to the fundamentals of diving, I would agree completely However, there are many facets of diving that the community as a whole does not agree on. I don't have to have a thousand dives under my belt to read and research the differing opinions. This board is proof that there are many things that the community does not agree upon.

I know exactly what you mean. Disagreement is one thing, but many divers get very defensive on certain topics. I am purposely not using the acronyms I am thinking of to avoid that can of worms :)

A <50 dives diver, who is going to apply for PADI's Master Scuba Diver rating very soon, is now judging on a dive system and the attitute of its divers that is proven to work for the most challenging dives and that has an extremely good record with respect to accidents and incidents?! Awesome :D

What does my having lass than 50 dives have to do with my level of intelligence and my ability to read and understand the differing opinions on this or any other board? There's are quite a few areas where the community as a whole do not agree, this and other boards are proof of that. I'm not judging the system and I'd challenge you to point out in my posts where I have. Your comment is blatant hyperbole on in an attempt to discredit my observation that there are a large number of people on this board who see their way of doing things as the only way, are not open to discussion and who's only contribution is negativity. If you really read some of what's been written in this thread, there are people advocating against additional training, training agencies, etc.

The overriding theme is a card for the sake of a card is worthless, it's the training and experience that count. Some would advocate I go figure it all out in my own or that because I didnt learn from their agency, I'm completely wrong. I'm still new, I'm still learning. I don't think I've ever misrepresented that.

My comments aren't as much about diving as they are about human nature.

The fact that PADI will award a DM certification to a diver with 60 dives, and will allow a diver with 60 dives to begin the OWSI course should prove the point that a few here are trying to make. I personally don't want any of my friends or family trained by someone that's still learning themselves. But that is exactly what you get in many cases, and the scary part is that the student usually doesn't know it.

OW instruction is watered down to the point where showing up at a few sites is starting to remind me of "People of Walmart". It's my opinion (and it's just an opinion, so all of you Boat Divers and Multilevel Divers out there don't get offended) that the PADI model doesn't consistently breed thinking divers. In other sports the word "master" means something entirely different. You haven't really mastered anything, so please excuse the fact that some of these ridiculous ratings upset some people. We really aren't upset with you for pursuing additional knowledge/certification/whatever. The problem is the number of braggart, blowhard DM's/OWSI's/MSD's/etc. that show up at dive sites, brag about their rating, and then dive like ****. Don't be one of those. Be honest about your skill level. Don't get cave certified just to call yourself a cave diver. This type of person produces other ****ty divers and serves only to water down the scuba gene pool even further.

I took the PADI dry suit course and was instructed specifically to not use the dry suit for buoyancy, putting in just enough air to alleviate squeeze (and using the BC for buoyancy).

I was also instructed (classroom and practical) in two methods to get out of a feet first position.

so not really sure what this article is based on. Perhaps all PADI dry suit classes are not the same?

I'm not a dry suit diver but I'm looking at page 156 of PADI Adventures in Diving copyright 2000 Rev. 7/00 Version 2.0

Dry Suit Buoyancy Control Underwater
When you're ready to descend, put your regulator in your mouth, vent your BCD and exhale. If you're properly weighed, you'll descend. At this point, stop using your BCD for buoyancy control and use primarily your dry suit. Use your BCD at the surface, or in case emergency. To attain and maintain neutral buoyancy under water, add to and release air from your dry suit.

Using your dry suit for buoyancy control has two main benefits. First, it similifies buoyancy control because you're only controlling one system. Second, in minimizes the possibility of suit squeeze.

I'm not a dry suit diver but I'm looking at page 156 of PADI Adventures in Diving copyright 2000 Rev. 7/00 Version 2.0

Why would PADI teach to use the drysuit as the primary buoyancy control device? That doesn't make any sense at all.

When you're ready to descend, put your regulator in your mouth, vent your BCD and exhale. If you're properly weighed, you'll descend. At this point, stop using your BCD for buoyancy control and use primarily your dry suit. Use your BCD at the surface, or in case emergency. To attain and maintain neutral buoyancy under water, add to and release air from your dry suit.

Using your dry suit for buoyancy control has two main benefits. First, it similifies buoyancy control because you're only controlling one system. Second, in minimizes the possibility of suit squeeze.

I have to admit, you do your homework for these posts :)

it was about 2 years ago that I did my drysuit class, but if I recall correctly my instructor told me to ignore that.

(I'm sure you are going to have a field day with this one lol)

I rarely end up using my BCD underwater for buoyancy control. Most times just the air in the suit is enough for warmth, squeeze, and control.

I am one of those vacation divers many like to complain about. I have about 65 dives, I have my OW, AOW and Nitrox certs from PADI. I am getting close to 6 decades old and started about 3 years ago. I will probably seek my Rescue Diver Cert when I get +/- 100 dives under my belt. I am safety minded, have probably done a dive or 2 that was over my abilities. I am going to seek more dive education as I feel is needed/possible. I haven't taken a course that I did not learn something. I am proud of the certifications I have achieved. I don't feel any of them are worthless, I did not do them for the card, I did them to gain knowledge and give me the means to achieve the dream of being able to swim around and look at pretty fishes safely.

I will also say that one one trip I was on, the worst diver in the group was a NAUI Master Diver certified wreck. During our week of diving, the Instructor on our trip would have had his certification cancelled if he thought it might have been possible. In my experience the agency makes no difference. The attitude of the person taking those classes and the instructor are the most important factors in learning and then applying the knowledge gained in any class or course taken.

Back
Top Bottom