PADI DMT Disturbing problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tvh13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have recently enrolled in a PADI DMT program with a dive school that I was told is one of the top trainings on the island, the course director holds a PADI Platinum award, where I live (a very busy and competitive dive market so I assumed that this person was of a high caliber). I had planned (and been paying installments) on continuing with this school through the PADI IDC program and including internship (for me expensive).

Since starting this training a number of incidents have occurred that have me questioning my decision to go with this person and the PADI system in general.

Last week I was asked to assist two EFR instructors in teaching an EFR course. The problem is in order to assist one has to be a certified EFR instructor. While I appreciated the opportunity to gain real world teaching experience I expressed my concerns and was told don't worry about it you just passed your EFR course you shouldn't have any problems. When we went to instruct I demanded that I be represented as an intern and not an instructor or assistant. I was asked to observe and correct students (unattended) none the less. Almost as shocking to me was that at the end of the day the EFR instructors, with the PADI course director's explicit approval (he signed the papers), signed off on qualifying the students for completion of skills exceeding the scope of an EFR instructor as a requisite for some sort of sea-mans license the students were applying for. One of the certifications was for emergency Diabetes management this was particularly offensive to me as I am diabetic and the idea of someone being certified to handle diabetic emergencies who has had no actual training could have life threatening consequences especially on a boat where someone actually trained in handling this type of emergency could be far far away.

At the end of the day this PADI "professional" seems to have put money in his pocket over the health and safety of other humans as well as pressuring me to be part of it.

This doesn't seem to be an isolated event either. I was dropped off by the PADI course director to dive a local beach with another more senior DMT guiding. We had no instruction from the trainer when he dropped us off other than swim east until we reach the reef and that he would be back in an hour. After donning our gear the other DMT started heading towards the water saying "lets go". Literally with no dive plan, no signal review (this was my first time diving with this person), no buddy check. Nothing. I later found out that this person (words of the dive instructors partner) doesn't really have the skills yet and doesn't understand PADI procedures. This was shocking to me. Ok the woman I dived with is Thai and her English is limited but why would she be in a DMT program if she doesn't grasp the basic principles of safe diving practice? I was told that she though it was a "fun" dive by the instructor. What? So an awarded PADI staff instructor says it's ok to abandon the basics of PADI training to go and have a "fun" dive?

I will say that the instructor in question is having a difficult relationship these days as evidenced by their constant bickering and unpleasant details his girlfriend (and part owner of the dive shop) has told me. I frankly find this kind of thing totally unprofessional ironically at a time when these people are supposed to be training me to become a PADI professional.

These and a number of other incidents have me shaken and wondering what to do. I could use some suggestions from others more experienced with SCUBA and the PADI system. I am already deeply into the DMT program both in time and money and making payment towards their IDC program. This is a large investment for me but not so large that it is worth going home feeling like crap much of the time. I have spent not only money but time and effort to attain this training and is this is the kind of organization that PADI awards with Platinum course director status what exactly do they base this on?

In my Divemaster manual PADI describes it's process for resolving problems with instructors but this issue seems to go beyond training and into moral issues. If a platinum trainer is willing to give false certifications under the guise of EFT trainings using uncertified instructors (me) and award divers credentials beyond their abilities and knowing that the diver does not comprehend the requisite information to dive safety (and telling me so). I wonder how can PADI possibly resolve this in a way that protects others from the dangers of these unscrupulous and dangerous practices.

Sorry to drag on with this but this is some of what is going on in my head right now I've lost a lot of sleep and I could use some suggestions and supportive advice.

I came to this program looking to be challenged and have fun learning new skills. I was under no misconceptions that this would be hard but wow what I seem to be learning is not what I had hoped for at all.

With thanks.

Sounds like you have a personal issue with the dive center concerned. My advice is to transfer your DMT somewhere else and stop whinging. Or maybe DMT itself is not right for you?

I suggest that you forward your concerns to PADI HQ, their response will help you decide if you want to remain within the PADI system.

Sounds like you have a personal issue with the dive center concerned. My advice is to transfer your DMT somewhere else and stop whinging. Or maybe DMT itself is not right for you?

Thanks for your advice. You are right I am wondering wether the PADI system is right for me.

I suggest that you forward your concerns to PADI HQ, their response will help you decide if you want to remain within the PADI system.

Thanks. I will do this. Are issues with EFR certification handled by PADI HQ? Is this the HQ in Australia or California? I am in Thailand.

I'm sorry, I have no idea, you'll have to ask that of a PADI type.

DMT is not right for him? Wining? Immediately placing all the blame on the OP, huh? I don't know the story, I certainly don't know the whole story, but I think that is a poor piece of advise from you , right off the bat.

OP, have you discussed this with the instructor and owners? Have you have a full, sit-down, rational, clear conversation? I would suggest starting there. List your concerns and expectations. Have a dialog that goes both ways. If what you say is true, then you may not get a positive response form them, but your responsibility is to try. PADI will ask that question from you first. If you feel that you are not getting a proper education, then you should move your training elsewhere.

Also I hear you on the whinging comment you made. I am sorry that my post comes across this way. I am committed to getting high quality SCUBA instruction and I am experiencing a lot of emotions and hard questions around my current situation how to proceed.

Given your experience as a diver I can imagine that you might have issues diving with someone who was certified to a level that is far above their actual ability as a diver or is it common in this profession?

I didn't get at first that you meant whining until Zen pointed it out. We are too often confronted (not only in diving) by people who got to where they are by taking or being granted short cuts. And in his case, how would you feel if you or your loved ones are having trouble and the person who is certified to help you can't because they were just handed a cert?
Probably the OP is pointing to a much bigger problem than just his own issue and we should listen before we judge him by calling him a whiner. Just my 0.02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom