PADI DM Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are lots of great technical instructors that utilize elements of hogarthian (kind of a precursor to the DIR crowd) diving principles without the 'DIR attitude' that seems to turn off many divers. Actually, everyone I've ever met cave diving and training was really easy to work with. Sometimes the perceived attitude on forums like this is not the reality when dealing person-to-person. I'm sure there are some real jerks, just like there are everywhere, but please don't assume that you'd end up with one by taking tech classes.

Again, I would advise anyone who's interested in tech diving to first determine what kind of environments they really want to dive in, and then train specifically for those environments. Even though usually the first steps are improved propulsion, trim, gas planning, etc....having a specific goal helps to focus and inspire.
Without a doubt, there are plenty of great technical instructors out there, and many I consider friends. And many excellent tech divers who are delightful to dive with. But there are also tech divers who can take the simplest shallow recreational dive and turn it into something way more complicated than necessary or appropriate, because that's how they roll. I don't know any dive class that can teach common sense, or any non-dive class either

DM training has more of a leadership orientation than Fundies. Also, from what I've seen / heard (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong), there's nothing in Fundies about navigation, route planning, or leading others. Different topics on dive theory, due to a different focus. Much more on trim, buoyancy and propulsion in Fundies. One diver I know who was a DM before he took Fundies was told he had exceptionally good situational awareness when he took Fundies, which he attributed to DM skills and experience

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom